Sharon trustees supporting CRA abatement
The Sharon Township Board of Trustees approved a resolution of support for an abatement in the Community Reinvestment Area (CRA) during the April 22 meeting.
Bethany Dentler, executive director of the Medina County Economic Development Corp., reviewed the latest information on the proposed abatement for Hemingway Development in the CRA on Medina Road.
Besides the trustees, Dentler said the Medina County Board of Commissioners and the Highland Local Schools Board of Education also must approve the abatement.
According to Dentler, the negotiating session for the details of the agreement resulted in the following proposal: A 50,000-square-foot office building would be constructed for Panther Expedited Trucking, which would lease from Hemingway. Dentler said the business would bring in 330 employees for a $13.8 million payroll. She said the abatement would be offered on the 32 new jobs created in four years with a $1.2 million payroll.
She said the compensation agreement with the Highland Local School District provides $9,000 per year for 14 years.
Trustee Ray Lurtz said the school district would get 50 percent of the taxes on the building over the course of the agreement for a total of $865,000 for the district.
Dentler said construction on the proposed building would begin this month.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ the movement of $10,000 from Improvement of Sites in the township’s General Fund to tax collection fees;
√ the movement of $12,000 from Contracts and Services in the township’s Road and Bridge Fund to tax collection fees;
√ the movement of $12,000 from Capital Outlay in the township’s Fire Department Fund to tax collection fees;
√ a resolution in support of Issue No. 1 on the May 6 Primary Election ballot;
√ the attendance of township zoning members at a training meeting scheduled for May 16;
√ a $21,000 quote from Perrin Asphalt for repairs of State Road between Fixler and Sharon-Copley roads and between Ridgewood and Medina roads;
√ to move forward with the proposal of the replacement of a new playground system for Sharon Community Park, including 2,000 feet of fencing along the parking lot, for a total of $21,000; and
√ the purchase of a paint sprayer to be used for road markings for a total of $5,813.
In other business:
- Resident Jane Back discussed this year’s Concerts in the Park, which are held every other Wednesday from May 28 through Aug. 6 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the gazebo in Sharon Circle. Back said she has most bands lined up for the season, and local nonprofit organizations will offer refreshments at the events.
Service Director Bob Turek added Sharon Town Hall will be open during these concerts to be used in case of inclement weather and for public restroom use.
- Trustee Kimberly Bolas Miller announced the farmers’ market at Sharon Community Park will open for the season June 1 from 1 to 4 p.m. and will be held every Sunday throughout the summer at that same time.
Miller also said she is still in negotiations for the sale of the township’s 1840 Community House.
- Fiscal Officer Anita Haas reported the township received a refund check from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation for $4,600. She said the annual premium for 2013 decreased from the previous year.
Haas said she received a letter from Medina Hospital thanking the Sharon Fire Department for its assistance in transporting a patient to his home.
Haas also reported the Ohio Township Risk Management Authority’s $500 grant to the township is being utilized by Turek for the purchase of road signs.
- Lurtz announced Medina County plans to change its regulations on subdivisions. He said a hearing on the matter will be held May 7 at 6:30 p.m. at the Medina Planning Commission office, 124 W. Washington St.
Lurtz also said Medina County Assistant Engineer Andy Conrad responded to his request for markings or signage in a high-accident area of State Road, saying solar flashing signs in the area had already been installed in April of 2011 and adequate sight distance is provided, so no additional signage is needed.
Lurtz reported the township’s zoning department issued one permit for conditional zoning, three permits for decks, one permit for a pool, two permits for single-family residences, one permit for a garage and one permit for a pool house.
- Medina County Sheriff’s Deputy Troy Seibert reported the Sheriff’s Office has handled 286 calls in Sharon within the last 30 days, including 77 traffic stops, 27 alarm drops and four burglaries. Seibert reminded the public to keep their vehicles and houses locked up and not leave anything of value in view.
- Assistant Fire Chief Michael Stanec said the Sharon Fire Department received a $37,000 grant from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation to be used toward cot loading systems for ambulances.
- Resident Tom Kaufman asked how soon the State Road railroad crossing would be repaired.
Lurtz said the township cannot do anything in the railroad right-of-way and he will inquire about other repairs.
The next Sharon Board of Trustees meeting is set for May 13 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- First major Akron CSO project underway
- Culture celebrated at Global Village Festival
- Some Council members awaiting CSO update
- Community Health Center celebrating 40 years
- St. Sebastian Parish School marking 85th anniversary
- County’s Personnel Committee ironing out employee benefits
- Bath purchasing larger recycling carts
- Boston trustees discuss Halloween activities
- Sharon trustees learn of successful charity garage sale
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- River cleanup volunteers needed
- West Side News & Notes
- Abatement begins at Cottage Grove School
- Green bus riders practice for emergencies
- Trustees hear ‘spray ground’ concerns
- Coventry residents asked to approve fire levy on ballot
- Lakemore officials backing county tax hike
- County’s Personnel Committee ironing out employee benefits
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Native American Medicine Wheel - 9/21/2014
- Small Flock Poultry and Backyard Guinea Fowl Conference - 9/21/2014
- CVNP House Concert - 9/21/2014
- Story Time - 9/22/2014
- Star Spangled Banner, 1812 Flag and National Anthem with Sharon Myers - 9/23/2014