GSNEO honors volunteers at annual ceremony
|Girl Scouts of North East Ohio volunteers were awarded the Appreciation Pin for their exemplary service in support of delivering the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.|
|Photo courtesy of Girl Scouts of North East Ohio|
“Volunteers are the heartbeat and the core of our organization,” said CEO Jane Christyson. “Girl Scouting would not exist without the dedication and talents of our volunteers — girls throughout Northeast Ohio are benefiting from the Girl Scout program, strong mentor relationships and leadership experiences.”
GSNEO has over 8,000 active volunteers. Volunteers help girls discover themselves, connect with others and take action to make the world a better place, according to GSNEO officials, and while becoming role models for the girls they lead, volunteers introduce girls to new experiences and create lasting memories.
There are numerous ways to volunteer with the Girl Scouts: Opportunities include troop leader, program facilitator, service unit director, event chairperson or committee member, Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GSLE) coach and board member.
A total of 126 adult volunteers received awards at the 2014 Adult Recognition Ceremony, including: Appreciation Pin (74), Honor Pin (20), Thanks Badge (seven), Thanks Badge II (three), Girl Scouts of North East Ohio Award (19) and Forever Green (three).
The following honors were awarded to members of the Central Service Area who reside in the West Side Leader’s coverage area.
- Appreciation Pin — This recognizes an individual’s exemplary service in support of delivering the GSLE: Michelle Jester, of Bath; Jodi Kearns, of Copley; and Tara Marr, of West Akron.
- Honor Pin — This recognizes an individual’s exemplary service in support of delivering the GSLE, and has had a measureable impact on two or more geographic areas of service, allowing the council to reach and surpass its mission delivery goals: Diana Anderson-Simms, of Cuyahoga Falls; Lisa Hale, of Copley; Janene Pierce, of Peninsula; and Rhiannon Williams, of Norton.
- Thanks Badge — This honors an individual whose ongoing commitment, leadership and service have had an exceptional, measureable impact on meeting the mission-delivery goals and priorities of the entire council or the entire Girl Scout movement: Kate Murgatroyd, of Cuyahoga Falls.
- GSNEO Award — This recognizes any registered adult Girl Scout for outstanding service to a council-wide position and dedication that impacts the success of the GSLE for GSNEO: Katie Carver, of West Akron.
- Forever Green Award — This honors previous recipients of the Appreciation Pin, Honor Pin, Thanks Badge and Thanks Badge II who have continued to provide exemplary service in a leadership role, resulting in a measureable impact that benefits the entire Girl Scout Movement: Julie Ash, of Akron.
More Community News
- Council districts subject of opposing issues
- Fun in season at Ohio Mart
- Akron expanding Wallhaven business district
- Creator of Portage Path sculptures returning for lecture
- West Side News & Notes
- Veterans get helping hand
- County Council selling bonds for The Village at St. Edward
- Urban Ounce of Prevention festivities mark 25th anniversary
- Work on Route 18 nearing completion for 2015
- Sessions on retirement planned
- Akron SCORE celebrates anniversary
- Bath trustees OK payment for Heritage Corridors project
- Bath Community Fund celebrates success
- Richfield trustees support Issue 22
- Cuyahoga Falls billboards promote medical information program
- Council introduces vicious dog legislation
- Bulldog Dash raises funds for Green schools
- Springfield district seeking renewal of two levies
- County Council holds public hearing for sewer project
- Council districts subject of opposing ballot issues
- South Side News & Notes
- Summer sewer rate discussed in Akron
Calendar of Events
- An Evening of American Indian Arts - 10/13/2015
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 10/13/2015
- Symphony Land Story Time with the Canton Symphony Orchestra - 10/13/2015
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 10/14/2015
- Know Your iPad; Searching the Internet - 10/14/2015