GSNEO honors volunteers at annual ceremony
|Girl Scouts of North East Ohio volunteers were awarded the Appreciation Pin for their exemplary service in support of delivering the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.|
|Photo courtesy of Girl Scouts of North East Ohio|
“Volunteers are the heartbeat and the core of our organization,” said CEO Jane Christyson. “Girl Scouting would not exist without the dedication and talents of our volunteers — girls throughout Northeast Ohio are benefiting from the Girl Scout program, strong mentor relationships and leadership experiences.”
GSNEO has over 8,000 active volunteers. Volunteers help girls discover themselves, connect with others and take action to make the world a better place, according to GSNEO officials, and while becoming role models for the girls they lead, volunteers introduce girls to new experiences and create lasting memories.
There are numerous ways to volunteer with the Girl Scouts: Opportunities include troop leader, program facilitator, service unit director, event chairperson or committee member, Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GSLE) coach and board member.
A total of 126 adult volunteers received awards at the 2014 Adult Recognition Ceremony, including: Appreciation Pin (74), Honor Pin (20), Thanks Badge (seven), Thanks Badge II (three), Girl Scouts of North East Ohio Award (19) and Forever Green (three).
The following honors were awarded to members of the Central Service Area who reside in the West Side Leader’s coverage area.
- Appreciation Pin — This recognizes an individual’s exemplary service in support of delivering the GSLE: Michelle Jester, of Bath; Jodi Kearns, of Copley; and Tara Marr, of West Akron.
- Honor Pin — This recognizes an individual’s exemplary service in support of delivering the GSLE, and has had a measureable impact on two or more geographic areas of service, allowing the council to reach and surpass its mission delivery goals: Diana Anderson-Simms, of Cuyahoga Falls; Lisa Hale, of Copley; Janene Pierce, of Peninsula; and Rhiannon Williams, of Norton.
- Thanks Badge — This honors an individual whose ongoing commitment, leadership and service have had an exceptional, measureable impact on meeting the mission-delivery goals and priorities of the entire council or the entire Girl Scout movement: Kate Murgatroyd, of Cuyahoga Falls.
- GSNEO Award — This recognizes any registered adult Girl Scout for outstanding service to a council-wide position and dedication that impacts the success of the GSLE for GSNEO: Katie Carver, of West Akron.
- Forever Green Award — This honors previous recipients of the Appreciation Pin, Honor Pin, Thanks Badge and Thanks Badge II who have continued to provide exemplary service in a leadership role, resulting in a measureable impact that benefits the entire Girl Scout Movement: Julie Ash, of Akron.
More Community News
- Kayaks take plunge in Falls
- Council OKs Akron residential tax plan
- E-poll books may update voting process in county
- Inside|Out art spreads to Copley, West Akron
- Breaux promotes positive attitude on bench
- West Side News & Notes
- Love Akron Network Awards Breakfast focusing on civility
- Summit County officials train for emergencies
- Norton bans medical marijuana operations in city
- Humane Society has new Mobile Adoption Center
- Falls receives grant for preserve project
- Falls breaks ground for downtown revitalization
- City offering electronics recycling
- Falls cleanup May 1-12
- Trustees holding public hearings on fee
- Richfield approves resolutions on autism, intolerance
- Granger officials hear update on proposed conservancy district
- Kiwanis creates baskets for women’s shelter
- MCBDD suggests early detection key for autism
- Touch-A-Truck event offering close-up view
- Council hears schoolhouse recommendation
- Springfield dedicates new playground, trail
- Coventry BOE seeking fiscal emergency release
- New Franklin Council absences delay adoption of legislation
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Great Lakes Great Maines Club Cat Show - 4/30/2017
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - 4/30/2017
- Scrabble Club - 4/30/2017
- Figure and Form: Intimate Studies - 5/2/2017
- Memory Fitness: Keep Your Mind Sharp - 5/2/2017