GSNEO honors volunteers at annual ceremony
|Girl Scouts of North East Ohio volunteers were awarded the Appreciation Pin for their exemplary service in support of delivering the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.|
|Photo courtesy of Girl Scouts of North East Ohio|
“Volunteers are the heartbeat and the core of our organization,” said CEO Jane Christyson. “Girl Scouting would not exist without the dedication and talents of our volunteers — girls throughout Northeast Ohio are benefiting from the Girl Scout program, strong mentor relationships and leadership experiences.”
GSNEO has over 8,000 active volunteers. Volunteers help girls discover themselves, connect with others and take action to make the world a better place, according to GSNEO officials, and while becoming role models for the girls they lead, volunteers introduce girls to new experiences and create lasting memories.
There are numerous ways to volunteer with the Girl Scouts: Opportunities include troop leader, program facilitator, service unit director, event chairperson or committee member, Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GSLE) coach and board member.
A total of 126 adult volunteers received awards at the 2014 Adult Recognition Ceremony, including: Appreciation Pin (74), Honor Pin (20), Thanks Badge (seven), Thanks Badge II (three), Girl Scouts of North East Ohio Award (19) and Forever Green (three).
The following honors were awarded to members of the Central Service Area who reside in the West Side Leader’s coverage area.
- Appreciation Pin — This recognizes an individual’s exemplary service in support of delivering the GSLE: Michelle Jester, of Bath; Jodi Kearns, of Copley; and Tara Marr, of West Akron.
- Honor Pin — This recognizes an individual’s exemplary service in support of delivering the GSLE, and has had a measureable impact on two or more geographic areas of service, allowing the council to reach and surpass its mission delivery goals: Diana Anderson-Simms, of Cuyahoga Falls; Lisa Hale, of Copley; Janene Pierce, of Peninsula; and Rhiannon Williams, of Norton.
- Thanks Badge — This honors an individual whose ongoing commitment, leadership and service have had an exceptional, measureable impact on meeting the mission-delivery goals and priorities of the entire council or the entire Girl Scout movement: Kate Murgatroyd, of Cuyahoga Falls.
- GSNEO Award — This recognizes any registered adult Girl Scout for outstanding service to a council-wide position and dedication that impacts the success of the GSLE for GSNEO: Katie Carver, of West Akron.
- Forever Green Award — This honors previous recipients of the Appreciation Pin, Honor Pin, Thanks Badge and Thanks Badge II who have continued to provide exemplary service in a leadership role, resulting in a measureable impact that benefits the entire Girl Scout Movement: Julie Ash, of Akron.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014
- Sweat Lodge Ceremony - 12/20/2014
- Ugly Sweater Hike and Fire - 12/20/2014
- Hiking for the Health of It - 12/20/2014