Lakemore seeking fire levy renewal
LAKEMORE — At a brief regular meeting May 5, Lakemore Village Council moved forward with placing a five-year, 2.5-mill levy on the Nov. 4 General Election ballot.
“It is just a renewal,” said Mayor Rick Justice. “No new taxes.”
Council approved legislation authorizing the Summit County Fiscal Office to certify the fire levy renewal.
According to the resolution, the levy would continue to be used to maintain a fire station, which includes providing for the payment of firefighters and the purchase of needed equipment.
If approved, the tax would first be levied in 2015 for first collection in calendar year 2016, the legislation states.
Also during the meeting, Justice announced the village will receive a $125,000 grant through the Ohio Public Works Commission. He said it will be used to replace 14 fire hydrants in the village.
In addition, Justice said two more houses were demolished last week and another blighted home will be torn down this week through the Moving Ohio Forward grant program. He said a full report on how the grant has been utilized over the past year in Lakemore will be provided at the May 19 meeting.
Before the meeting’s close, Councilwoman Anne Snyder reported 36 bags of trash were removed from the village at the April 26 annual Cleanup Day.
In other village news:
- Council President Laura Cochran said the annual Memorial Day Parade will follow a new route due to the ongoing construction work at Springfield High School. She said the parade will commence at the Tri-County Plaza, travel along Canton Road to Springfield Lake Road, along Main Street and end at the former Edwin Shaw property.
- Councilman Chad Lance said several boat dock rentals still are available for the 2014 boating season. Applications can be printed off from the village website, www.lakemoreohio.org, and dropped off at the Municipal Building, 1400 Main St.
The next regular Council meeting will take place May 19 at 7 p.m. at the Municipal Building.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014