Lakemore seeking fire levy renewal
LAKEMORE — At a brief regular meeting May 5, Lakemore Village Council moved forward with placing a five-year, 2.5-mill levy on the Nov. 4 General Election ballot.
“It is just a renewal,” said Mayor Rick Justice. “No new taxes.”
Council approved legislation authorizing the Summit County Fiscal Office to certify the fire levy renewal.
According to the resolution, the levy would continue to be used to maintain a fire station, which includes providing for the payment of firefighters and the purchase of needed equipment.
If approved, the tax would first be levied in 2015 for first collection in calendar year 2016, the legislation states.
Also during the meeting, Justice announced the village will receive a $125,000 grant through the Ohio Public Works Commission. He said it will be used to replace 14 fire hydrants in the village.
In addition, Justice said two more houses were demolished last week and another blighted home will be torn down this week through the Moving Ohio Forward grant program. He said a full report on how the grant has been utilized over the past year in Lakemore will be provided at the May 19 meeting.
Before the meeting’s close, Councilwoman Anne Snyder reported 36 bags of trash were removed from the village at the April 26 annual Cleanup Day.
In other village news:
- Council President Laura Cochran said the annual Memorial Day Parade will follow a new route due to the ongoing construction work at Springfield High School. She said the parade will commence at the Tri-County Plaza, travel along Canton Road to Springfield Lake Road, along Main Street and end at the former Edwin Shaw property.
- Councilman Chad Lance said several boat dock rentals still are available for the 2014 boating season. Applications can be printed off from the village website, www.lakemoreohio.org, and dropped off at the Municipal Building, 1400 Main St.
The next regular Council meeting will take place May 19 at 7 p.m. at the Municipal Building.
More Community News
- Akron City Council OKs Wallhaven project
- Derby celebrates 78th year
- Districting proposal making its way to ballot
- Richfield celebrating Community Day events Aug. 7-9
- West Side News & Notes
- Confusion follows Falls Council’s charter change vote
- Boston optimistic with switch to RITA
- Richfield Village officials still considering water tower sites
- Leadership Akron selects members of new class
- Granger firefighters promoted to lieutenant rank
- Sanitarium scrapbook preservation in works
- Area diaper collection a success
Calendar of Events
- “Hairspray” - 7/31/2015
- Croquet in the Garden: ages 12-18 - 7/31/2015
- The Selfie Show - 7/31/2015
- Crayon Batiks by Lawrence Walker - 7/31/2015
- Greased Lightning - 7/31/2015