Falls Chamber seeking stronger support from city officials
Members of Cuyahoga Falls Chamber of Commerce attended the brief May 12 City Council meeting to push for an even stronger partnership for the betterment of the community.
Chamber President Keith Viers told members of Council and the city administration the “success” of the city depends on everyone working together, including the Cuyahoga Falls and Woodridge school districts.
Viers specifically asked Council members to attend future ribbon-cutting ceremonies to help welcome new businesses to the city.
Chamber CEO Laura Petrella said it is important for business owners to meet members of Council and city administration to keep the lines of communication open.
She explained business owners interested in the community call the chamber first, seeking information on how a location would do in the area.
Petrella said trained members of the chamber discuss the Falls and set up meetings for the business owners and administration to make things run “seamlessly.”
She said nine ribbon-cuttings would be happening in the near future, as well as tours of new businesses for the participation of members of Council and city administration.
Members of Council thanked Viers and Petrella for their work on behalf of the Falls.
Council did not have legislation to vote on during the brief meeting but did introduce five new ordinances and one new resolution.
These pieces of legislation were assigned to the appropriate committees to review at the committee meetings May 19.
The Planning and Zoning Committee was assigned an ordinance approving the findings and conditions of the major site plan for Cascade Auto Group’s new 11,986-square-foot Audi terminal at 4161 State Road and a new 7,500-square-foot detail and service facility at 4149 State Road.
The Planning and Zoning Committee also was assigned an ordinance to apply for the Summit County Community Grant for the creation of the Wyoga Lake Road multipurpose trail plan.
According to the proposed legislation, the city would make a $10,000 grant request to the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition for the trail from Seasons Road to Graham Road.
The Permanent Improvements Committee was assigned an ordinance authorizing the construction of the extension of the sanitary sewer on Hidden Lake Lane by a private developer.
Additionally, the Public Affairs Committee on May 19 will consider a resolution urging Gov. John Kasich and Attorney General Mike DeWine to enforce existing state laws against predatory lending as they related to the purveyors of “auto title loans,” urging the Ohio General Assembly to repeal or amend the state statute pre-empting municipal regulation of “auto title loans” and other predatory lending practices.
The committee also will consider an ordinance authorizing Mayor Don Walters to enter into an agreement with the International Association of Firefighters Local 494.
Council will hold committee meetings May 19 and a regular meeting May 27, a day later than usual due to Memorial Day, both beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the Natatorium, 2345 Fourth St.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014