Norton Council approves creation of new fund
During the May 12 Norton City Council meeting, Council members voted unanimously in favor of creating a new fund for police equipment.
According to city officials, the city collects a $50 administrative fee for each vehicle that is towed and a $15 per day storage fee when vehicles are impounded. Before the new fund was created, this money was deposited into the General Fund. With the creation of the new fund, the money collected now will be used expressly for the purchase of police vehicles and equipment, according to Finance Director Laura Starosta.
Starosta also said money collected before the creation of this fund will remain in the General Fund, and only money collected after the new fund is created will be added because the Police Department has already used General Fund money this year to purchase a new vehicle.
In other business, Council approved:
- an ordinance for a mutual aid agreement by and among the cities of Norton and Fairlawn, Richfield Village, the townships of Copley, Bath, Chippewa, Sharon and Granger, and the Valley Fire District for the sharing and exchange of apparatus and/or equipment by the fire departments of the respective subdivisions in emergency situations;
- an ordinance authorizing and directing the mayor to execute and deliver an agreement to provide community correctional services with Oriana House Inc.; and
- an ordinance to amend certain sections of the city’s codified ordinances in regard to the licensing, location and regulation of skill-based amusement arcades in the city.
Council President Rick Rodgers (Ward 1) said a town hall meeting will be held May 21 at 7 p.m. at the Shirley L. McGuire Community Center, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive. Rodgers stated the purpose of the meeting is to discuss the care and repair of septic systems. Any interested residents are encouraged to attend.
Council next will meet for a work session May 19 and for its meeting May 27, a day later than usual due to Memorial Day, both at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers at the Safety-Administration Building, located at 4060 Columbia Woods Drive.
More Community News
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony Orchestra - 8/2/2015
- Bobby Selvaggio Quartet - 8/2/2015
- Phil ‘n the Blanks - 8/2/2015
- Natural Discoveries Hiking Series: Sounds of Summer - 8/2/2015
- Colin Dussault - 8/3/2015