New Granger firefighter sworn in
|Shane Berger (center) was sworn in to the Granger Fire Department by Trustee Teri Berry (far right) during the Granger Board of Trustees meeting May 12.
|Photo: Scott Kriska|
Fire Chief Jim Paulett said Berger has served as a career firefighter in Parma and is also a part-time firefighter in Fairlawn. Once Berger was sworn in, his wife, Alison, pinned his badge onto his shirt before the public applauded.
In other Granger Fire Department matters, Paulett reported the department wants to formalize future maintenance and upgrade expenditures among the Granger, Sharon and Hinckley fire departments. He said this would specifically involve self-contained breathing apparatus fit-testing equipment, the child safety house and the department’s new forestry firefighting unit.
Paulett also reported on the status of several grants the Fire Department received and applied for. He said the department was awarded the State Fire Marshal Training Grant of $450 toward its training expenses for the previous year and will receive a $2,500 check for the 2013-14 Ohio EMS Grant in late June or early August. Paulett said two other grants, the 2014-15 Ohio EMS Grant and the Ohio Honor Project Grant Phase II awards, are pending. He said an Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles grant for a hydraulic cot for the department’s new squad is in the preparation stage.
In other business:
- Zoning Inspector Annie George reported variance and conditional-use requests for the Highland Local School District’s sports complex were heard at a Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) meeting May 13. She also reported several other requests will be signed and heard at another BZA meeting May 27 at 7:30 p.m.
George reported she wants to look into regulations for outdoor furnaces following complaints from neighbors regarding smoke being released from such furnaces. She said she was told the Environmental Protection Agency will not regulate the matter.
Trustee Richard Pace suggested she check with the Medina County Prosecutor’s Office and other communities for regulation information.
- Pace discussed changes the Fire Department made to its purchased EMS vehicle.
Trustee John Ginley said the color of the vehicle will be different, but the price of the unit will remain the same.
- Fiscal Officer Donald Baker reminded the public of the township’s Memorial Day ceremony May 26 at 9 a.m. at Granger Fairview Cemetery, 1627 Wilbur Road.
Ginley added an open house will be held at the Granger Fire Department, 3737 Ridge Road, following the ceremony.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ to send recommendations of chipping and sealing on Reid Hill, Bath and Remsen roads from Allard to Medina Line roads to the Medina County Engineer’s Office for estimates;
√ a resolution to update the township investment policy;
√ a payment of $200 in township association dues for trustees and fiscal officers; and
√ to keep CareWorks, of Independence, as its managed care organization.
The next Granger Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for May 27, a day later than usual due to Memorial Day, at 4 p.m. at the Granger Township Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014