New Franklin Council delays voting due to absences
In response to the absence of three members at its May 7 meeting, New Franklin City Council decided to delay voting on any legislation to keep all of the items on track for immediate action.
Absent from the meeting were Paul Adamson (Ward 1) for a scheduled vacation, as well as at-large members Judy Jones and Gust Kalapodis for unscheduled matters.
According to the city’s Charter, two thirds of Council, which is five members, must approve legislation in order for the item to be adopted immediately. If only four members vote to approve the legislation, the item does not go into effect for 30 days. Because Council is due to meet May 21, Council determined it would be faster to wait to vote on the legislation at the next meeting than to adopt the items and wait for 30 days for any to become effective.
Among the items Council is scheduled to vote on at the next meeting, which takes place at City Hall, located at 5611 Manchester Road, are:
- to advertise for bids to obtain limestone for the Road Department. Law Director Tom Musarra said new state laws makes the process unnecessary for purchases less than $50,000, and the city may not need to advertise. He asked city officials to confirm that information with state auditors. City officials must still bring all purchases over $10,000 before Council for approval;
- upgrades to the city’s financial operations from Software Solutions;
- the purchase of one of three parcels of a vacant property on Renninger Road for $32,500 to be used for a storm water project;
- an amendment of Section Five of Ordinance No. 05-65, which regulates noise created by advertising, sound-amplifying equipment, machinery, noise-producing instruments, vehicles and animals. The amendment is intended to address and limit outside live entertainment at bars and restaurants to the hours between noon and 10 p.m.;
- an amendment of Zoning Code Section 800.10 (junk/unlicensed motor vehicle regulations), with a public hearing set for June 18 at 6 p.m.; and
- an ordinance to amend Zoning Code Section 1400.02 (definition of litter), with a public hearing also set for June 18 at 6 p.m.
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Sweet Smell of Success” - 7/31/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Sarah Schaefer and Rebekah Jean - 7/31/2014
- Downtown@Dusk: JD Eicher & The Goodnights - 7/31/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/31/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014