Ceremonies honor Ohio Veterans’ Memorial Park
The ride began in Richfield and ended at the park, where a statue honoring Gold Star Fathers — fathers who have lost a child in combat — and a Purple Heart Bench were dedicated.
Shown above is Paige Burris standing in front of the Ohio Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Wall leading the singing of the national anthem at the unveilings.
Shown at right, from left, with the statue are Gold Star Fathers are Stephen Blackwell (who lost his son Justin), Tom Seesan (who lost his son Aaron) and Scott Warner (who lost his son Heath). All three fathers were speakers at the event, and the ceremony included the launch of red, white and blue balloons at the conclusion of the dedication. The statue is believed to be the first of its kind in the United States, according to event officials.
The Purple Heart Bench, which was funded by the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 699 and includes the names of Ohio recipients of the honor, is shown below. The Military Order of the Purple Heart is given to men and woman serving in the U.S. Armed Forces who have been wounded or killed in combat, according to its website, www.purpleheart.org.
The ceremonies were followed by a reception.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Scott Horstman
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014
- Sweat Lodge Ceremony - 12/20/2014
- Ugly Sweater Hike and Fire - 12/20/2014
- Hiking for the Health of It - 12/20/2014