Ceremonies honor Ohio Veterans’ Memorial Park
The ride began in Richfield and ended at the park, where a statue honoring Gold Star Fathers — fathers who have lost a child in combat — and a Purple Heart Bench were dedicated.
Shown above is Paige Burris standing in front of the Ohio Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Wall leading the singing of the national anthem at the unveilings.
Shown at right, from left, with the statue are Gold Star Fathers are Stephen Blackwell (who lost his son Justin), Tom Seesan (who lost his son Aaron) and Scott Warner (who lost his son Heath). All three fathers were speakers at the event, and the ceremony included the launch of red, white and blue balloons at the conclusion of the dedication. The statue is believed to be the first of its kind in the United States, according to event officials.
The Purple Heart Bench, which was funded by the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 699 and includes the names of Ohio recipients of the honor, is shown below. The Military Order of the Purple Heart is given to men and woman serving in the U.S. Armed Forces who have been wounded or killed in combat, according to its website, www.purpleheart.org.
The ceremonies were followed by a reception.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Scott Horstman
More Community News
- APS plans to create health career academy
- Nice day for a swim … if you’re a polar bear
- Akron Council defends hiring city residents
- County may make clean break from Norton sewers
- Lippman School celebrating 50th anniversary
- West Side News & Notes
- Faith Lutheran to dedicate new building
- Stow Clerk of Courts Advisory Council hosts inaugural meeting
- New residents celebrate first winter in Akron
- Norton Council lowers costs for sewer assessments
- Fairlawn officials working toward passing final 2015 budget
- Falls Council OKs site plans for Menards, townhome project
- Bath enters into agreement with Falls for jail services
- First Bath Community Fund meeting planned
- Richfield Village Council OKs fire/EMS contract with township
- Trustees select design-build teams for new building
- Copley trustees oppose removal of Minor Road traffic signal
- Granger officials introduced to new recycling proposal
- Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank kicks off Harvest for Hunger
- Junior League honors members
Calendar of Events
- Animal Tales - 2/27/2015
- From the Vault: 40 Years of Excellence - 2/27/2015
- Edwin Scholes: Birds of Paradise - 2/27/2015
- A New Adventure - 2/28/2015
- Mums the Word - 2/28/2015