Ceremonies honor Ohio Veterans’ Memorial Park
The ride began in Richfield and ended at the park, where a statue honoring Gold Star Fathers — fathers who have lost a child in combat — and a Purple Heart Bench were dedicated.
Shown above is Paige Burris standing in front of the Ohio Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Wall leading the singing of the national anthem at the unveilings.
Shown at right, from left, with the statue are Gold Star Fathers are Stephen Blackwell (who lost his son Justin), Tom Seesan (who lost his son Aaron) and Scott Warner (who lost his son Heath). All three fathers were speakers at the event, and the ceremony included the launch of red, white and blue balloons at the conclusion of the dedication. The statue is believed to be the first of its kind in the United States, according to event officials.
The Purple Heart Bench, which was funded by the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 699 and includes the names of Ohio recipients of the honor, is shown below. The Military Order of the Purple Heart is given to men and woman serving in the U.S. Armed Forces who have been wounded or killed in combat, according to its website, www.purpleheart.org.
The ceremonies were followed by a reception.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Scott Horstman
More Community News
- Mock crash reminds students of risks
- Akron rolls out medical marijuana plan
- Akron Council, BOE delve into issues
- Author ties together causes of opiate epidemic
- Yellow Creek watershed advocates move forward
- West Side News & Notes
- Area Girl Scouts take part in World Thinking Day
- LeBron James announces plan for new Akron school
- Summit first autism-friendly county in Ohio
- Boston BZA fees going up
- BCF launches fundraiser
- Council chambers receives electronic upgrades
- Bath trustees authorize new parking lot design
- Library levy before Medina County voters
- Sharon officials discuss spring projects
- Bright ‘Roland’ back at library
- Venturing Crew clears trail preserve
- Lakemore gearing up for police department
- Author ties together causes of opiate problem
- Coventry Schools levy renewal ‘crucial’ for district
- Township officials addressing opiate epidemic
- Coventry fire department utilizing grant money
- South Side News & Notes
- Springfield trustees move to demolish garage
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017