Ceremonies honor Ohio Veterans’ Memorial Park
The ride began in Richfield and ended at the park, where a statue honoring Gold Star Fathers — fathers who have lost a child in combat — and a Purple Heart Bench were dedicated.
Shown above is Paige Burris standing in front of the Ohio Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Wall leading the singing of the national anthem at the unveilings.
Shown at right, from left, with the statue are Gold Star Fathers are Stephen Blackwell (who lost his son Justin), Tom Seesan (who lost his son Aaron) and Scott Warner (who lost his son Heath). All three fathers were speakers at the event, and the ceremony included the launch of red, white and blue balloons at the conclusion of the dedication. The statue is believed to be the first of its kind in the United States, according to event officials.
The Purple Heart Bench, which was funded by the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 699 and includes the names of Ohio recipients of the honor, is shown below. The Military Order of the Purple Heart is given to men and woman serving in the U.S. Armed Forces who have been wounded or killed in combat, according to its website, www.purpleheart.org.
The ceremonies were followed by a reception.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Scott Horstman
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 8/27/2014
- Tai Chi for those touched by cancer - 8/27/2014
- Pilates - 8/27/2014
- “Divergent” - 8/28/2014
- 11th Annual Juried Fiber Arts Show - 8/29/2014