Bath trustees approve property purchase
At the Bath Board of Trustees meeting May 19, trustees approved the purchase of land south of the Bath Center building.
Members voted 2-1 in favor of purchasing 1206 N. Cleveland-Massillon Road for $83,823, with Trustee Becky Corbett casting the dissenting vote.
This past December, trustees approved purchase of the property in the amount of $95,000, again with a vote of 2-1 with Corbett dissenting, but after a second appraisal of the property was conducted, the amount was lowered to the current cost.
Due to the lower appraised value, the trustees first rescinded the original vote to purchase the property at $95,000 and then voted on it again with the lower price.
While Corbett did not give any reasons for voting against the purchase at the meeting, she did say at the December meeting when it was originally voted on that she was concerned about the cost.
According to Township Administrator Vito Sinopoli, the property is expected to be used for township purposes, possibly as extra parking for the Administration Building, but nothing has been decided yet. However, he said the structure on the property will have to be demolished, but the garage will remain intact.
In other business, Interim Park Supervisor Alan Garner, Service Director Caine Collins and Sinopoli all gave updates on cleanup after the May 12 storm. All reported cleanup is going well, but there is still more to do.
Due to damage to some roads, trustees approved contracts with Cavanaugh Building Corp. to complete emergency road cross-over repairs on Ranchwood and Oak Hill roads, not to exceed $13,500, and Bertolini Trucking Inc. to complete emergency road cross-over repairs on Bonnebrook and Lois drives, not to exceed $12,000.
Trustees extended their thanks to all departments for their hard work during this time.
Bath Police is compiling a list of township residences that experienced basement flooding the week of May 12. When complete, this list will be submitted to the Summit County Emergency Management Agency for review. Residents who have experienced basement flooding should call 330-666-3736.
Also during the meeting, trustees:
- agreed to enter into a written agreement with the State of Ohio to participate in the U.S. Department of Defense excess personal property program. The program, if Police Department officials decide to participate in it, which they have no plans to do at this time, would allow them to access property no longer needed by the military, according to township officials;
- agreed to post for the position of part-time police officer with a closing date of June 13;
- agreed to hire Robert Campbell as the assistant fire chief effective June 1;
- agreed to pay Leppo Rents $5,200 for purchase of a Butler trailer;
- agreed to change the location of the public auction May 22 to 3789 Ira Road. The auction will be held at 4 p.m. and a list of items can be found at www.bathtownship.org; and
- accepted the Heritage Corridors of Bath recommendation and approved the contract with EG&G as the contractor for the Heritage Corridors of Bath Information Center.
The board’s next meeting will be June 2 at 7 p.m. in the trustees’ meeting room of the Bath Administration Building, 3864 W. Bath Road.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Dick Cooper Holiday Concert - 12/5/2016
- Cuyahoga Falls Community Band and Chorus Holiday Concert: - 12/5/2016
- Elf on a Shelf - 12/5/2016
- Cardio Hike - 12/5/2016
- “Spring Awakening” - 12/6/2016