Artists chalk one up for Akron
During the Chalk Walk, which was part of Akron’s Neighbors Day celebrations, local artists were invited to create chalk murals on the sidewalks to beautify the city. Each artist was allocated a certain number of sidewalk sections to complete, and the community also was invited to participate.
The Chalk Walk was approved during the April 2 MyAkron event at the Akron Civic Theatre. The MyAkron initiative is organized by the Downtown Akron Partnership (DAP) Emerging Leaders, according to event officials. Citizens submit project ideas and present them to the public, and those attending MyAkron events vote for a favorite project for implementation with the DAP Emerging Leaders.
Jaclyn Flossie, presenter of the Chalk Walk idea, is pictured below working on her art.
Among other chalk creations was the City of Akron logo, shown above right.
Pictured at top, from left, creating their designs are Kimberly Beckett, Ellen Lander, Ben Heckerman, Karlo Petrak and Pete Nischt.
Akron Art Museum officials were on hand with spray chalk and stencils, and invited participants to contribute ideas to the newly announced Make Your Mark community-inspired public art project. According to event officials, the project, a collaboration among the Akron Art Museum, John S. Knight Center, Downtown Akron Partnership, Akron-Summit County Public Library and Summit Artspace, will incorporate community sketches into a large mural by local artist Jesse Strother in the John S. Knight Center. The mural will be unveiled July 5 at 7:30 p.m. during the Downtown Akron Artwalk.
— By Maria Lindsay
|Photos: Dale Dong|
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Gardening Through the Year: Wreath Making - 12/4/2016
- ”Nutcracker” - 12/4/2016
- University of Akron Choirs: ‘Tis the Season - 12/4/2016
- Dixieland Jazz Concert - 12/4/2016
- Crafty Mart Presents Cottage Mart - 12/4/2016