Homepage | Archives | Calendar of Events | Exploring Akron | Lawn & Garden | Death Notices | People & Places | The Green Report | Faith & Worship | Get email news alerts | About Us
Community News

Glendale ceremony marks 175 years of history

6/5/2014 - West Side Leader
      permalink bookmark

By Maria Lindsay

WEST AKRON — Glendale Cemetery celebrated 175 years of history May 30 in a rededication ceremony that marked its founding and remembered American war veterans resting at the burial ground established in 1839.

Officials gathered at the Civil War Chapel, which was built in 1876 by the Buckley Post of the Grand Army of the Republic to memorialize all who served in the Civil War from the Greater Akron area.

A funeral procession was led by a color guard composed of Civil War re-enactors from the 29th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company G Living History Association. The procession included an authentic coffin in a glass-enclosed, horse-drawn hearse used in past years and purchased by Akron’s Billow Co. funeral directors in 1892. The hearse is pictured above entering the cemetery.

Shown at right is a symbolic coffin being carried by the soldier re-enactors during the ceremony. The cemetery’s Bell Tower (1883), shown at right in the background, is one of four Glendale Cemetery buildings on the National Register of Historic Places, according to event officials. A fundraiser to help restore the damaged tower took place that evening at the cemetery.

The event also included re-enactors from Actors’ Summit Theater portraying founders of Glendale Cemetery, which include Dr. Jedidiah Commins, Simon Perkins Jr. and General Alvin Coe Voris. Mary Ingersoll Tod Evans, founder of the Ladies Cemetery Association, also was portrayed.

Gregory Bean, president of the Friends of Historic Glendale Cemetery, is shown below speaking from the porch of the Chapel, along with other officials and re-enactors at the event.

For more on the cemetery, see “Glendale Cemetery marking 175th anniversary” in the May 29, 2014, edition or visit our archives at www.akron.com.

— By Maria Lindsay

Photos: Dale Dong

      permalink bookmark