County summer roadwork planned
SUMMIT COUNTY — The Summit County Engineer’s Office has nearly $9 million of roadwork planned for this summer, starting this month.
Three bridge replacements, major resurfacing projects and regular pavement maintenance will occur throughout the county continuing through the summer and likely heading into the fall, according to Heidi Swindell, of the Engineer’s Office.
Roads will remain open as work takes place, except where bridges are being replaced, Swindell said.
The three bridges — including the Shaw Road Bridge over a branch of Yellow Creek in Bath, the East North Street Bridge over the Little Cuyahoga River in Southeast Akron and the Ravenna Road Bridge over Tinker’s Creek in Twinsburg Township — will be replaced using a mix of federal, state and local dollars, according to the Engineer’s Office.
The only bridge project in the West Side Leader’s coverage area, the Shaw Road Bridge, was washed out when a severe storm dropped approximately 4 inches of rain within half an hour May 12, causing damage from debris and flood waters, according to county officials. Swindell said she expects construction to cost around $350,000, and an application for emergency funding has been sent to the Ohio Public Works Commission. She anticipates the new bridge will be complete and the road reopened before the next school year begins, she said.
Major road resurfacing projects on Quick Road and a continuation of work on Riverview Road in Boston Township are planned using grant funds. According to Summit County Engineer Alan Brubaker, the Quick Road resurfacing will make use of federal funding, and the Riverview Road improvements will be funded with 80 percent Surface Transportation Program funding passed through the Akron Metropolitan Area Transportation Study.
Quick Road improvements will take place along Akron-Peninsula Road to the City of Cuyahoga Falls’ corporate line. The project, currently in the design phase, includes milling, base repairs as needed, a leveling course, a surface course, shoulder treatment and striping. The estimated construction cost is $1.48 million, and the project is scheduled for September and October, according to Brubaker’s office.
This summer, improvements on Riverview Road, phases two and three, are planned for the Peninsula Village border to the Cuyahoga County line and will include base repairs, resurfacing and widening the shoulders. The first phase of this project was completed in 2013, according to the Engineer’s Office. The final two phases this summer will cost around $1.3 million, to be paid for with federal funding, according to Brubaker’s office.
The Engineer’s Office has allocated $2.18 million for pavement maintenance in the capital improvement program this year, Swindell said. It is administering, for the fourth year, a regional pavement maintenance program, which had more municipalities and entities participate than ever before, and will include seven townships, four cities, three villages and Summit Metro Parks, according to Brubaker.
“We have been pleased to offer this program to local governments in Summit County,” said Brubaker. “Continued and growing participation from cities, villages and townships will make this program a success. The regional approach saves money and promotes efficiency in our road programs without reducing the level of services.”
In the West Side Leader’s coverage area, the following pavement maintenance projects are planned:
- motor paving by Perrin Asphalt in Bath and Norton. County projects will take place in Bath, including on Shade Road from North Cleveland-Massillon Road to Bath Road and on Ira Road from Glengary Road to the Cuyahoga Falls corporate line;
- chip seal by C & C Contractors in Copley and Peninsula. A county project will take place in Copley on Wright Road from Jacoby Road to Collier Road;
- hot mix asphalt by Ronyak Paving in Bath and Richfield and by Perrin Asphalt in Copley and Fairlawn. A county project will take place on Ridgewood Road from Corporate Parkway to approximately 50 feet east of Park Hill;
- asphalt rejuvenating by Pavement Technology Inc. in Akron, Bath and Richfield. County projects will take place in Richfield, on Black Road from state Route 303 to Boston Mills Road, and in Bath, on Yellow Creek Road from North Cleveland-Massillon Road to 600 feet west of Yellow Creek Lane, and on Revere Road from the City of Fairlawn corporate line to 800 feet south of Yellow Creek Road;
- concrete pavement road repair by Liberta Construction in Bath and Copley. A county project will take place on Springside Drive in Bath;
- asphalt crack sealing by Aero-Mark in Akron, Bath, Copley and Richfield. County projects will take place in Copley on Jacoby Road from Summit Road to state Route 162, and in Richfield on Wheatley Road from the Interstate 77 ramp to Revere Road; and
- pavement marking by J.D. Striping in Copley and Summit Metro Parks and on approximately two-thirds of county roads throughout Summit County, applying new centerlines, edge lines and special markings to roads.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 8/30/2014
- “Ride” - 8/30/2014
- Get Acquainted With Bridge - 8/30/2014
- Outdoor Yoga - 8/30/2014
- “Pre-Marathon” Book Sale - 8/30/2014