Storm damage tax relief available
|New Granger firefighter James Monter was sworn in by Granger Trustee Teri Berry at the Granger Board of Trustees meeting June 9.|
|Photo: Scott Kriska|
She said the forms are available on the Auditor’s Office website at www.medinacountyauditor.org or by calling the Auditor’s Office at 330-725-9754.
In other business:
- Trustee Teri Berry swore in new Granger firefighter James Monter.
- Fire Chief Jim Paulett reported the Granger Fire Department handled 14 fire calls and 16 EMS calls in May.
Paulett also reported the Fire Department has ordered material from the Sharon Fire Department and said he hopes to get underway with the department’s long lane marking program when the material comes in.
Paulett also announced the Fire Department will host a swift water awareness class for Granger firefighters and other area fire departments June 26 at 7 p.m.
- Service Director Mark Novak said some of the berming of township roads following the storm May 12 has been completed in high-speed areas and said some spotty areas that had not yet been completed were scheduled to be completed by June 11.
- Zoning Inspector Annie George announced a Board of Zoning Appeals meeting will be held June 24 at 7:30 p.m. to discuss a conditional zoning request for the construction of a ministorage facility on Medina Road.
George reported she received a phone call about divots being dug out of the grass of the baseball diamond at the Granger Township Park by people golfing.
Novak said he can post signs stating the baseball diamond is for baseball use only.
George also said a Medina Line Road resident had put up a barbed wire fence that is 4 feet from the ground up, which is against the Ohio Revised Code. She suggested the trustees meet with the resident who installed the fence.
George said in researching other townships’ policies on outdoor furnaces, she found some of the other townships in Medina County regulate the use of such furnaces, but not what people can burn. She added the Environmental Protection Agency has no jurisdiction over either factor.
- Sexton Rita Feess reported no burial activity took place in May. She also expressed her thanks to members of the Granger Humming Hornets 4-H group for placing flags on the graves at Fairview Cemetery for Memorial Day and members of the Medina chapter of Disabled Veterans of America for placing flags on the graves at the other Granger cemeteries.
- Ridge Road resident Rebecca Brown expressed her disapproval of the roundabout scheduled to be added to the intersection of Ridge and Granger roads and asked who she could contact for information about the roundabout.
Berry said the township has no say in the matter since Ridge Road is a state highway.
Trustee Richard Pace said he would provide Brown with contact information of those in charge of the project.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ the purchase of a berming machine not to exceed $6,500;
√ the tabling and analyzing of snow bids from #1 Landscaping, of Granger, and Fabrizi Trucking & Paving, of Valley City, and to take action at the next board meeting;
√ the acceptance of Abe Bender as a firefighter pending a physical evaluation;
√ the continuation of the Fire Department’s fire prevention program with the Highland Local School District for the 2014-15 school year;
√ a $1,174 expense at Stonewall Uniforms for new firefighters Shane Berger and Monter;
√ a resolution requesting certification from the Medina County Auditor’s Office to put a road levy and a fire levy on the Nov. 4 election ballot;
√ the renewal of property and liability insurance for $27,196; and
√ a $2,800 mowing bill from Belsole Ground Works.
The next Granger Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for June 23 at 4 p.m. at the Granger Township Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Democratic mayoral candidates debate
- Buchtel students visit Kenya via biostatistics program
- Grether resigns, special election needed in Norton
- APD officers engaging in ‘park and walk’ effort
- County looking to become more immigrant-friendly
- West Side News & Notes
- Scouts stage ‘buy-in’ to support Circle K
- Bhutanese community learning about Akron
- Service building project to go out for bids
- Copley to award trash hauler contract next month
- Representative discusses services of Renacci’s office
Calendar of Events
- Evil Ways, The Jimi Hendrix Tribute Experience and Ball and Chain - 8/28/2015
- End of Summer Jam with Sir Charles and Wendell B. - 8/28/2015
- Thyme for Dinner: Campfire Cooking - 8/28/2015
- Downloading with the 3M Cloud Library, eLearning the Easy Way, Excel Basics, Games and Tricks for Android Tablets - 8/29/2015
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 8/29/2015