Bath teen earns volunteer award
|Photo courtesy of McKinney family|
The Rev. Mark Ford, executive director of The Love Akron Network, nominated Dana for her dedication to the organization’s Adopt-A-School project.
Dana, a Revere High School sophomore, collected gift cards and cash last November in an effort to provide each of the 500 students at Akron Public Schools’ Findley Community Learning Center (CLC) with a special Christmas gift of socks, gloves and candy. Raising $900, she was able to meet her goal and deliver the gifts to the children in mid-December. According to the McKinney family, many Findley CLC students live in poverty conditions, and half of the students speak English as a second language.
Assistant to the Mayor Billy Soule presented Dana with her award at a reception held at the Main Branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library during the city’s annual youth volunteer recognition program.
Dana is shown above right with Ford, at left, and Soule.
During her acceptance speech, Dana encouraged other youths to volunteer.
“You don’t have to get involved in a huge volunteer project that takes up all of your time,” she said. “You could simply just help a neighbor or your grandparents with a chore they need done. There are many ways to make a difference: You just have to ask.”
Dana shared that her goal is to make a positive difference in the world through her volunteer projects.
The Love Akron Network was awarded $150 in Dana’s name by the city of Akron to help in recruiting and continuing its volunteer programs. For additional details regarding the Findley Adopt-A-School project, contact The Love Akron Network at 330-384-8124 or visit www.loveakron.org/adoptaschool.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014
- Sweat Lodge Ceremony - 12/20/2014
- Ugly Sweater Hike and Fire - 12/20/2014
- Hiking for the Health of It - 12/20/2014