Bath teen earns volunteer award
|Photo courtesy of McKinney family|
The Rev. Mark Ford, executive director of The Love Akron Network, nominated Dana for her dedication to the organization’s Adopt-A-School project.
Dana, a Revere High School sophomore, collected gift cards and cash last November in an effort to provide each of the 500 students at Akron Public Schools’ Findley Community Learning Center (CLC) with a special Christmas gift of socks, gloves and candy. Raising $900, she was able to meet her goal and deliver the gifts to the children in mid-December. According to the McKinney family, many Findley CLC students live in poverty conditions, and half of the students speak English as a second language.
Assistant to the Mayor Billy Soule presented Dana with her award at a reception held at the Main Branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library during the city’s annual youth volunteer recognition program.
Dana is shown above right with Ford, at left, and Soule.
During her acceptance speech, Dana encouraged other youths to volunteer.
“You don’t have to get involved in a huge volunteer project that takes up all of your time,” she said. “You could simply just help a neighbor or your grandparents with a chore they need done. There are many ways to make a difference: You just have to ask.”
Dana shared that her goal is to make a positive difference in the world through her volunteer projects.
The Love Akron Network was awarded $150 in Dana’s name by the city of Akron to help in recruiting and continuing its volunteer programs. For additional details regarding the Findley Adopt-A-School project, contact The Love Akron Network at 330-384-8124 or visit www.loveakron.org/adoptaschool.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Civil War Talk: General Sheridan - 10/20/2014
- Akron History Hike: Old Stone School - 10/20/2014
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014