Bath teen earns volunteer award
|Photo courtesy of McKinney family|
The Rev. Mark Ford, executive director of The Love Akron Network, nominated Dana for her dedication to the organization’s Adopt-A-School project.
Dana, a Revere High School sophomore, collected gift cards and cash last November in an effort to provide each of the 500 students at Akron Public Schools’ Findley Community Learning Center (CLC) with a special Christmas gift of socks, gloves and candy. Raising $900, she was able to meet her goal and deliver the gifts to the children in mid-December. According to the McKinney family, many Findley CLC students live in poverty conditions, and half of the students speak English as a second language.
Assistant to the Mayor Billy Soule presented Dana with her award at a reception held at the Main Branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library during the city’s annual youth volunteer recognition program.
Dana is shown above right with Ford, at left, and Soule.
During her acceptance speech, Dana encouraged other youths to volunteer.
“You don’t have to get involved in a huge volunteer project that takes up all of your time,” she said. “You could simply just help a neighbor or your grandparents with a chore they need done. There are many ways to make a difference: You just have to ask.”
Dana shared that her goal is to make a positive difference in the world through her volunteer projects.
The Love Akron Network was awarded $150 in Dana’s name by the city of Akron to help in recruiting and continuing its volunteer programs. For additional details regarding the Findley Adopt-A-School project, contact The Love Akron Network at 330-384-8124 or visit www.loveakron.org/adoptaschool.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014