Bath teen earns volunteer award
|Photo courtesy of McKinney family|
The Rev. Mark Ford, executive director of The Love Akron Network, nominated Dana for her dedication to the organization’s Adopt-A-School project.
Dana, a Revere High School sophomore, collected gift cards and cash last November in an effort to provide each of the 500 students at Akron Public Schools’ Findley Community Learning Center (CLC) with a special Christmas gift of socks, gloves and candy. Raising $900, she was able to meet her goal and deliver the gifts to the children in mid-December. According to the McKinney family, many Findley CLC students live in poverty conditions, and half of the students speak English as a second language.
Assistant to the Mayor Billy Soule presented Dana with her award at a reception held at the Main Branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library during the city’s annual youth volunteer recognition program.
Dana is shown above right with Ford, at left, and Soule.
During her acceptance speech, Dana encouraged other youths to volunteer.
“You don’t have to get involved in a huge volunteer project that takes up all of your time,” she said. “You could simply just help a neighbor or your grandparents with a chore they need done. There are many ways to make a difference: You just have to ask.”
Dana shared that her goal is to make a positive difference in the world through her volunteer projects.
The Love Akron Network was awarded $150 in Dana’s name by the city of Akron to help in recruiting and continuing its volunteer programs. For additional details regarding the Findley Adopt-A-School project, contact The Love Akron Network at 330-384-8124 or visit www.loveakron.org/adoptaschool.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016
- Women’s Art League Show - 12/3/2016