Bath teen earns volunteer award
|Photo courtesy of McKinney family|
The Rev. Mark Ford, executive director of The Love Akron Network, nominated Dana for her dedication to the organization’s Adopt-A-School project.
Dana, a Revere High School sophomore, collected gift cards and cash last November in an effort to provide each of the 500 students at Akron Public Schools’ Findley Community Learning Center (CLC) with a special Christmas gift of socks, gloves and candy. Raising $900, she was able to meet her goal and deliver the gifts to the children in mid-December. According to the McKinney family, many Findley CLC students live in poverty conditions, and half of the students speak English as a second language.
Assistant to the Mayor Billy Soule presented Dana with her award at a reception held at the Main Branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library during the city’s annual youth volunteer recognition program.
Dana is shown above right with Ford, at left, and Soule.
During her acceptance speech, Dana encouraged other youths to volunteer.
“You don’t have to get involved in a huge volunteer project that takes up all of your time,” she said. “You could simply just help a neighbor or your grandparents with a chore they need done. There are many ways to make a difference: You just have to ask.”
Dana shared that her goal is to make a positive difference in the world through her volunteer projects.
The Love Akron Network was awarded $150 in Dana’s name by the city of Akron to help in recruiting and continuing its volunteer programs. For additional details regarding the Findley Adopt-A-School project, contact The Love Akron Network at 330-384-8124 or visit www.loveakron.org/adoptaschool.
More Community News
- Moneypenny ready to take mayor’s seat
- Copley celebrates Memorial Day
- Founders’ Day will mark AA’s 80th year
- Shy shares credit for park district successes
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley asks Ohio Supreme Court to hear Rothrock appeal
- Historic designation sought for Keyser property
- Copley trustees approve building replacement
- Richfield police chief warns residents about burglars
- Richfield trustees discuss Crowell Hilaka property use
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Migration: for ages 3-6 - 5/29/2015
- Cuyahoga Valley Photographic Society - 5/29/2015
- Any Way You Want It with Broken Promise - 5/29/2015
- Full Moon Fever with Mo Mojo - 5/29/2015
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015