UWSC hosts annual meeting
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The United Way of Summit County (UWSC) Annual Meeting took place April 23 at the John S. Knight Center.
The organization’s membership elected a slate of 16 directors. Those elected to three-year terms ending at the annual meeting in 2017 were: Nicholas Browning, FirstMerit Bank; Traci Buckner, Akron Public Schools; William Caplan, Buckingham, Doolittle and Burroughs LLP; H. Valerie Geiger, PNC Bank; Stuart Glauberman, Malco Products Inc.; David Jennings, Akron-Summit County Public Library; Randy Katz, City Scrap and Salvage Co.; Richard Krochka, TRIAD/Next Level; Christine Amer Mayer, The GAR Foundation; Brian Moore, Roetzel and Andress; Richard Noechel, The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co.; Russ Pry, Summit County; Mark Scheffler, Leadership Akron; William Sherman, The University of Akron; Bernett Williams, Akron Children’s Hospital; and Henry Zellman, Rubber City Radio Group.
A slate of officers for 2014-15 also was elected: At-large Executive Committee members include: Jennings; Pamela Williams; Browning; Labor Representative Tom Morneweck, Tri-County Regional Labor Council; Nominating Committee Chair Mayer; Campaign Chair Theodore Walter, Fifth Third Bank; Community Impact Division Chair Donna Skoda, Summit County Public Health; Administration Committee Chair Donald Corpora, Akron General Health System; Strategic Planning Chair Stanley Silverman, The University of Akron; Marketing and Brand Management Committee Chair Krochka; Public Policy Committee Chair Martin Hall, FirstEnergy Corp.; Secretary Williams; Treasurer Noechel; Vice Chair of the Board James Merklin, Bober Markey Fedorovich; Past Board Chair Theresa Carter, OMNOVA Solutions Foundation; and Board Chair William Feth, AESCO Holdings LLC.
The event also featured the presentation of awards to a number of companies and organizations that helped United Way raise in 2013 its highest total in the organization’s history — $12.2 million.
The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. received the 2013 “Spirit of Caring Award” presented annually to a company that exhibits outstanding support of UWSC and year-round commitment to the Summit County community.
Cornerstone Awards were presented to the two largest campaigns in Summit County — Goodyear and FirstEnergy Corp. — together raising nearly $3 million locally.
Chairmen’s Awards were presented to nine businesses and organizations that exhibited extraordinary achievement and saw outstanding campaign increases, according to UWSC officials: Bober Markey Fedorovich; Bridgestone Americas; Buckingham, Doolittle and Burroughs LLC; GOJO Industries Inc.; Interval Brotherhood Home; Schwebel Baking Co.; Standard Jig Boring Service; and Welty Building Company Ltd.
The Wendell Willkie Award was presented to Buckingham, Doolittle and Burroughs, honoring the top UWSC campaign at a local law firm.
In addition to honoring businesses, the contributions of several individuals were acknowledged for improving the community through their generosity and volunteer service. The Distinguished Service Award, UWSC’s highest individual honor, was presented to William Considine, president and CEO of Akron Children’s Hospital. The Young Philanthropist of the Year Award was presented to Sarah Flannery, a partner with Thompson Hine LLP.
More Community News
- City reports sewer savings after plan altered
- Tour offers peek into Copley landmark
- Akron tree ordinance sprouting changes
- Norton district returns to ballot for operating funds
- All welcome at GASP luncheon
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council OKs first set of employee contracts
- Council approves pump station location change
- Norton citizens mount referendum campaign on sewer transfer
- Council OKs Woodridge, Portage Crossing construction plans
- Copley trustees increase cemetery capacity with columbarium
- Richfield officials honor garden club for 80 years of service
- Trustees hear update on recycling program
- Green Council continues CRA discussion
- City makes Tudor House part of parks
- Trustees start clean-up process at former gas station
- South Side News & Notes
- Council OKs first set of employee contracts
- Akron tree ordinance sprouting changes
Calendar of Events
- Akron-Summit Country Main Library Events - 10/1/2016
- John Gragg and Katie Kopan; John Gragg - 10/1/2016
- Fall Felt Wreath - 10/1/2016
- David Sanborn - 10/1/2016
- Mr. Science - 10/1/2016