County summer roadwork planned
SUMMIT COUNTY — The Summit County Engineer’s Office has nearly $9 million of roadwork planned for this summer, starting this month.
Three bridge replacements, major resurfacing projects and regular pavement maintenance will occur throughout the county continuing through the summer and likely heading into the fall, according to Heidi Swindell, of the Engineer’s Office.
Roads will remain open as work takes place, except where bridges are being replaced, Swindell said.
The three bridges — including the East North Street Bridge over the Little Cuyahoga River in Southeast Akron, the Shaw Road Bridge over a branch of Yellow Creek in Bath and the Ravenna Road Bridge over Tinker’s Creek in Twinsburg Township will be replaced using a mix of federal, state and local dollars, according to the Engineer’s Office.
Two major road resurfacing projects in Boston are planned using grant funds, on Quick Road and a continuation of work on Riverview Road. According to Summit County Engineer Alan Brubaker, the Quick Road resurfacing will make use of federal funding, and the Riverview Road improvements will be funded with 80 percent Surface Transportation Program funding passed through the Akron Metropolitan Area Transportation Study.
The Engineer’s Office has allocated $2.18 million for pavement maintenance in the capital improvement program this year, Swindell said. It is administering, for the fourth year, a regional pavement maintenance program, which had more municipalities and entities participate than ever before, and will include seven townships, four cities, three villages and Summit Metro Parks, according to Brubaker.
“We have been pleased to offer this program to local governments in Summit County,” said Brubaker. “Continued and growing participation from cities, villages and townships will make this program a success. The regional approach saves money and promotes efficiency in our road programs without reducing the level of services.”
In the South Side News Leader’s coverage area, the following pavement maintenance projects are planned:
- motor paving by Perrin Asphalt in Coventry, Norton and Springfield. The county does not have any motor paving projects planned in the area this year;
- chip seal by C & C Contractors in Coventry, Springfield and New Franklin. A county project will take place in Coventry on Cottage Grove Road from the City of Green corporate line to Killian Road;
- hot mix asphalt by Perrin Asphalt in Coventry and Springfield. County projects will take place in Springfield on Sanitarium Road from Canton Road to Portage Line Road and in Springfield and Coventry on Arlington Road and Killian Road;
- asphalt rejuvenating by Pavement Technology Inc. in Akron, Coventry and Springfield. County projects will take place in Coventry on South Main Street from Lakota Avenue to Elora Avenue and in Springfield on Albrecht Road from the City of Akron corporate line to Morningside Drive;
- concrete pavement road repair. The county does not have any concrete pavement road repair projects planned in the area this year;
- asphalt crack sealing by Aero-Mark in Akron, Coventry and Springfield. County projects will take place in Coventry and Springfield on Arlington Road from 800 feet south of Krumroy Road to Bruce Road, in Coventry on South Main Street from the Green corporate line to Swartz Road and on Portage Lakes Drive from South Turkeyfoot Road to Hametown Road, and in Springfield on Pickle Road from the Green corporate line to Killian Road; and
- pavement marking by J.D. Striping in New Franklin, Summit Metro Parks and on approximately two-thirds of county roads throughout Summit County, applying new centerlines, edge lines and special markings to roads.
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Norma Wagner Uray: Fashion Illustrations - 8/21/2014
- Highland Book Club: “Trains and Lovers,” by Alexander McCall Smith - 8/21/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 8/21/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 8/21/2014
- GriefCare Place - 8/21/2014