Sheriff’s Office retires flags
The Sheriff’s Office Color Guard, Mounted Unit, K-9 and Motorcycle units, along with the Group III Civil Air Patrol Squadron and various military groups, participated in the event. Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Robert Capes, of Cuyahoga Falls, was the keynote speaker. The public also was invited to attend.
Shown at right, from left, Cpl. Bryan Campbell and 1st Sgt. Christopher Gasser, of Weapons Company 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, from Brook Park, lower an old flag at the Training Center in preparation for the retirement ceremony.
Shown below are a pile of flags awaiting retirement during the ceremony.
According to federal law, when a flag is no longer fit for display, it should be retired in a dignified manner, preferably by burning, as shown at top at the retirement ceremony.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron police to assist at GOP convention
- Junior Rangers explore CVNP
- County looking at summer roadwork spending
- Celebrate national parks’ centennial at CVNP
- Deconstruction program building up community
- West Side News & Notes
- ACLU sues Akron over panhandling law
- Temporary bridge bypass opens on Towpath
- Proposed charter changes in Fairlawn continue to draw debate
- Copley trustees to appoint new fiscal officer
- Bids announced for 2016 road projects in Bath
- Boston trustees discuss policy on culvert pipe installation
- Sharon trustees address transportation concerns
Calendar of Events
- Homeschoolers: Backyard Pollinators: ages 7-10 - 5/6/2016
- Play and Stay Friday - 5/6/2016
- University of Akron: Brass Quintets; Jazz Guitar Ensemble - 5/6/2016
- Getting “On Time” With Your Life - 5/7/2016
- Cleveland Orchestra Chorus and Blossom Festival Chorus - 5/7/2016