Sheriff’s Office retires flags
The Sheriff’s Office Color Guard, Mounted Unit, K-9 and Motorcycle units, along with the Group III Civil Air Patrol Squadron and various military groups, participated in the event. Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Robert Capes, of Cuyahoga Falls, was the keynote speaker. The public also was invited to attend.
Shown at right, from left, Cpl. Bryan Campbell and 1st Sgt. Christopher Gasser, of Weapons Company 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, from Brook Park, lower an old flag at the Training Center in preparation for the retirement ceremony.
Shown below are a pile of flags awaiting retirement during the ceremony.
According to federal law, when a flag is no longer fit for display, it should be retired in a dignified manner, preferably by burning, as shown at top at the retirement ceremony.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014