Sheriff’s Office retires flags
The Sheriff’s Office Color Guard, Mounted Unit, K-9 and Motorcycle units, along with the Group III Civil Air Patrol Squadron and various military groups, participated in the event. Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Robert Capes, of Cuyahoga Falls, was the keynote speaker. The public also was invited to attend.
Shown at right, from left, Cpl. Bryan Campbell and 1st Sgt. Christopher Gasser, of Weapons Company 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, from Brook Park, lower an old flag at the Training Center in preparation for the retirement ceremony.
Shown below are a pile of flags awaiting retirement during the ceremony.
According to federal law, when a flag is no longer fit for display, it should be retired in a dignified manner, preferably by burning, as shown at top at the retirement ceremony.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony Holiday Pops - 12/18/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra Holiday Concert - 12/18/2014
- Yoga in the Park - 12/18/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 12/18/2014
- “Annie” - 12/18/2014