Sharon trustees address foul odor complaints
During the June 10 meeting, the Sharon Township Board of Trustees discussed some residents’ previous complaints about a strange smell detected in the Sharon Circle area.
The problem was initially addressed by Zoning Inspector Neil Jones at the last board meeting. He had reported he found out the smell was coming from the nearby GrafTech graphite factory and said township officials would look into the matter.
Trustee Brian Guccion reported that since then, he talked to the manager of the GrafTech plant, who explained to him the smell was the result of carbon being burned to make a new product. Guccion said he was told GrafTech will rectify the problem, but it may take approximately six months to do so. Guccion said the smell resulting from the work complies with Environmental Protection Agency air-quality standards.
In other business:
- Guccion said the township received a check from the Ohio Township Association Risk Management Authority for insurance renewal. He said the renewal fee has increased by $3,900 due to additional assets.
- Trustee Ray Lurtz reported he received a proposal for architectural services in regard to additions being made to the fire station, including vehicle bays, a storage area and showers, for a total of $48,600, including engineering services.
Lurtz also expressed his thanks to Fiscal Officer Anita Haas, who was absent that day, for the great job on the state audit within the past two years.
- Fire Capt. Dennis Miller reported the Sharon Fire Department used its John Deere Gator utility vehicle and trailer on the job for the first time when a fire broke out behind the Pinnacle Sports building. He said the new equipment already has proven to be useful.
- Jones reported he issued permits for two variances, one single-family home, one in-ground pool, one porch and one deck since the last board meeting.
Jones expressed his thanks to those who helped put together the Antiques Affaire at Sharon Circle June 7. He said he received a lot of positive feedback about the event.
Jones also said he received complaints about an unkempt residence on Burdett Road. He suggested the complainant gather the residents of that neighborhood together to get the yard mowed.
- Assistant Zoning Inspector Melissa Hydel reported she has noticed many people paying for their permits in cash and suggested the Zoning Department purchase a cash box.
Lurtz suggested Hydel talk to Fiscal Officer Haas about that recommendation.
- Service Director Bob Turek reported the new fire station sign had been set up and thanked those who helped to set it up.
- The board approved a resolution stating the Medina County Sheriff’s Office be notified of vendors and solicitors in Sharon Township in addition to having them register with the township.
The next Sharon Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for June 24 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, located at 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
- Green Council considers budget
- Coventry sparkles with new holiday event
- Village studying marijuana business issue
- Fill-A-Cruiser events making holidays merrier
- South Side News & Notes
- DAR Chapter honors veterans
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
Calendar of Events
- Ballroom Dancing - 12/11/2016
- Crafty Mart Presents Cottage Mart - 12/11/2016
- “Jason Bourne”; “The Secret Life of Pets” - 12/11/2016
- BassoonaRoo - 12/11/2016
- Parish Arts Concert Series: Master Singers Chorale - 12/11/2016