Relay For Life raises funds to fight cancer
Co-chair Jennifer Jesser-Ringer, of Green, said the event was expected to raise close to $30,000 for the American Cancer Society, which supports research, patient services, early detection, treatment and education.
“We are so grateful for our great City of Green, community members and local businesses who gave so much of their time and donated to the event,” said Jesser-Ringer, who co-chaired the event with Kelly Barber, of Springfield. The two are shown at right top, from left.
Opening ceremonies June 13 included guest speakers Norton resident Chrissi Bolin, a cancer survivor who was part of the Giant Eagle Market District team and is pictured at right bottom, and Angela Bozik, of Cuyahoga Falls, whose 6-year-old son Ryan Encinas is a cancer survivor.
“They gave so much hope to those fighting cancer,” said Jesser-Ringer.
Participants in the survivors’ lap are shown at top.
The event this year also included a 5K Run and 1-mile fun walk, a Pizza War, with Guiseppe’s Pizza coming out the winner, and a silent auction.
Shown below looking at the silent auction items is New Franklin resident Evelyn Duve, co-captain of Team Nolley, of Nolley Elementary in New Franklin.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Community News
- Council districts subject of opposing issues
- Fun in season at Ohio Mart
- Akron expanding Wallhaven business district
- Creator of Portage Path sculptures returning for lecture
- West Side News & Notes
- Veterans get helping hand
- County Council selling bonds for The Village at St. Edward
- Urban Ounce of Prevention festivities mark 25th anniversary
- Work on Route 18 nearing completion for 2015
- Sessions on retirement planned
- Akron SCORE celebrates anniversary
- Bath trustees OK payment for Heritage Corridors project
- Bath Community Fund celebrates success
- Richfield trustees support Issue 22
- Cuyahoga Falls billboards promote medical information program
Calendar of Events
- Akron Craft Beer Festival - 10/9/2015
- Tony Toni Tone - 10/9/2015
- “Cheaper by the Dozen” - 10/10/2015
- Read to the Dogs - 10/10/2015
- Fall Family Outing - 10/10/2015