Relay For Life raises funds to fight cancer
Co-chair Jennifer Jesser-Ringer, of Green, said the event was expected to raise close to $30,000 for the American Cancer Society, which supports research, patient services, early detection, treatment and education.
“We are so grateful for our great City of Green, community members and local businesses who gave so much of their time and donated to the event,” said Jesser-Ringer, who co-chaired the event with Kelly Barber, of Springfield. The two are shown at right top, from left.
Opening ceremonies June 13 included guest speakers Norton resident Chrissi Bolin, a cancer survivor who was part of the Giant Eagle Market District team and is pictured at right bottom, and Angela Bozik, of Cuyahoga Falls, whose 6-year-old son Ryan Encinas is a cancer survivor.
“They gave so much hope to those fighting cancer,” said Jesser-Ringer.
Participants in the survivors’ lap are shown at top.
The event this year also included a 5K Run and 1-mile fun walk, a Pizza War, with Guiseppe’s Pizza coming out the winner, and a silent auction.
Shown below looking at the silent auction items is New Franklin resident Evelyn Duve, co-captain of Team Nolley, of Nolley Elementary in New Franklin.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Community News
- Derby celebrates 78th year
- Akron City Council OKs Wallhaven project
- Districting proposal making its way to ballot
- Confusion follows Falls Council’s charter change vote
- Boston optimistic with switch to RITA
- Richfield Village officials still considering water tower sites
- Leadership Akron selects members of new class
- Granger firefighters promoted to lieutenant rank
- Sanitarium scrapbook preservation in works
Calendar of Events
- “First Tuesday” Dance - 8/4/2015
- Experience the Underground Railroad - 8/4/2015
- Freezing and Canning Workshop - 8/4/2015
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 8/5/2015
- #Akron Music Scene Showcase - 8/5/2015