Relay For Life raises funds to fight cancer
Co-chair Jennifer Jesser-Ringer, of Green, said the event was expected to raise close to $30,000 for the American Cancer Society, which supports research, patient services, early detection, treatment and education.
“We are so grateful for our great City of Green, community members and local businesses who gave so much of their time and donated to the event,” said Jesser-Ringer, who co-chaired the event with Kelly Barber, of Springfield. The two are shown at right top, from left.
Opening ceremonies June 13 included guest speakers Norton resident Chrissi Bolin, a cancer survivor who was part of the Giant Eagle Market District team and is pictured at right bottom, and Angela Bozik, of Cuyahoga Falls, whose 6-year-old son Ryan Encinas is a cancer survivor.
“They gave so much hope to those fighting cancer,” said Jesser-Ringer.
Participants in the survivors’ lap are shown at top.
The event this year also included a 5K Run and 1-mile fun walk, a Pizza War, with Guiseppe’s Pizza coming out the winner, and a silent auction.
Shown below looking at the silent auction items is New Franklin resident Evelyn Duve, co-captain of Team Nolley, of Nolley Elementary in New Franklin.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014