Relay For Life raises funds to fight cancer
Co-chair Jennifer Jesser-Ringer, of Green, said the event was expected to raise close to $30,000 for the American Cancer Society, which supports research, patient services, early detection, treatment and education.
“We are so grateful for our great City of Green, community members and local businesses who gave so much of their time and donated to the event,” said Jesser-Ringer, who co-chaired the event with Kelly Barber, of Springfield. The two are shown at right top, from left.
Opening ceremonies June 13 included guest speakers Norton resident Chrissi Bolin, a cancer survivor who was part of the Giant Eagle Market District team and is pictured at right bottom, and Angela Bozik, of Cuyahoga Falls, whose 6-year-old son Ryan Encinas is a cancer survivor.
“They gave so much hope to those fighting cancer,” said Jesser-Ringer.
Participants in the survivors’ lap are shown at top.
The event this year also included a 5K Run and 1-mile fun walk, a Pizza War, with Guiseppe’s Pizza coming out the winner, and a silent auction.
Shown below looking at the silent auction items is New Franklin resident Evelyn Duve, co-captain of Team Nolley, of Nolley Elementary in New Franklin.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pre-Holiday Book Sale - 11/26/2014
- Nature Drawing for Adults - 11/26/2014
- Joseph Arthur - 11/26/2014
- Mo Mojo - 11/26/2014
- History Hike - 11/28/2014