Sheriff’s Office retires flags on Flag Day
The Sheriff’s Office Color Guard, Mounted Unit, K-9 and Motorcycle units, along with the Group III Civil Air Patrol Squadron and various military groups, participated in the event. Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Robert Capes, of Cuyahoga Falls, was the keynote speaker. The public also was invited to attend.
Shown at right top, at center, is Civil Air Patrol member Brandon Hurst, 18, assisting in folding a ceremonial flag during the event.
According to federal law, when a flag is no longer fit for display, it should be retired in a dignified manner, preferably by burning, as shown at top at the retirement ceremony.
Shown at right bottom are Green residents and siblings Aaryay Qureshi, 9, of Cub Scout Pack No. 3334, and Ayesha Qureshi, 10, of Girl Scout Troop No. 91551, carrying a large flag to be burned during the ceremony.
Shown below is 5-year-old Holly Orsine waving a new flag next to her mother, Erin, who waits to present an old flag for burning.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- West Hill cell tower gets reluctant approval
- 93 Cents for Flight 93 to create mobile museum
- Fairlawn Council votes down two proposed charter changes
- Iraq War vet climbs to raise awareness about suicide
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton Girl Scouts help homeless students
- County moving forward on traffic study
- Bath trustees reject fact-finding report regarding IAFF
- Boston trustees address issues with salt for winter
- Sharon officials discuss proposed annexation of property
- Springfield considering trash aggregation
- Seniors dig improvements
- Lakemore seeks funds for lakefront playground
- Springfield district rededicates plaques
- RNC volunteers sought for Akron
- South Side News & Notes
- Animals die in fire at Springfield pet care business
- County looking to provide IT services to others
- Coventry trustees grant homeowner chance to repair home
- Akron plans to raise EMS fees
- Sibshop focused on siblings of special needs children
Calendar of Events
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 11-18 - 5/25/2016
- Paws for Reading with Therapy Dogs Pepper and Rocky - 5/26/2016
- Metro Parks Family Tree: Seiberling Family - 5/26/2016