Norton closer to officially appointing city administrator
The City of Norton is one step closer to officially appointing a new city administrator.
At the June 23 Norton City Council meeting, members heard a first reading of an ordinance to confirm the appointment of Valerie Wax Carr as administrative officer for an annual salary of $67,993.
Wax Carr, of Cuyahoga Falls, who previously served as the service director there, was appointed to the position in Norton on an interim basis in February. She took the place of Richard Ryland, who resigned from the administrator position this past November. She was considered on an interim basis for six months because the charter states that after six months, the person holding the job must be a Norton resident, according to city officials.
However, in the May Primary Election, voters approved a charter change eliminating the residency requirement.
Also during the meeting, Council:
- approved two ordinances that repealed former ordinances that were no longer needed.
One ordinance that was repealed regards an ordinance passed by Council in 2010 relating to Council rules. Council is preparing to pass a new set of Council rules, and the old set had to be repealed before that can be done, according to city officials.
The other ordinance repealed regards an ordinance related to insurance contracts for the city that are in excess of limits set by the Ohio Revised Code and must, therefore, be authorized by Council and approved by the Board of Control before the contract can be awarded.
According to Councilwoman Charlotte Whipkey (at large) this ordinance is no longer needed on the books;
- approved a resolution of support for the Good Deeds Program, which assists homeowners with deeds lacking joint survivorship language or transfer of death provisions; and
- heard a first reading of an ordinance vacating parts of Kingston Avenue within the city. A public hearing will be held on this issue at the July 14 Council meeting.
Council next will meet for a work session July 7 and for its regular meeting July 14, both at 7 p.m., in Council Chambers at the Safety-Administration Building, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive.
More Community News
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony Orchestra - 8/2/2015
- Bobby Selvaggio Quartet - 8/2/2015
- Phil ‘n the Blanks - 8/2/2015
- Natural Discoveries Hiking Series: Sounds of Summer - 8/2/2015
- Colin Dussault - 8/3/2015