Independence Day celebrated at FreedomFest
The preholiday activities began on June 27 with the Taste of Green, which offered food from local restaurants and food vendors, along with entertainment.
On June 28, the event added hot air balloon rides, inflatables, games, paddleboat rides, Outback Ray’s Amazing Animal Show, the MacConmara Academy of Irish Dance and more. One of those activities included a mechanical bucking bronco. Shown at top is 8-year-old Teagan Minor, of North Canton, taking a ride on the machine.
A misting tent and a water slide helped to keep everyone cool on the hot day. Pictured below is 5-year-old Ashlyn Minor, of North Canton, enjoying the slide.
The day finished with a concert by the Journey tribute band Escape and fireworks, pictured above right.
Other Independence Day celebrations are taking place throughout the area. For a listing of events, see “July 4th celebrations span full week” in the June 27, 2014, issue or visit the archives at www.akron.com.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Windows 8 - 7/29/2014
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014