Independence Day celebrated at FreedomFest
The preholiday activities began on June 27 with the Taste of Green, which offered food from local restaurants and food vendors, along with entertainment.
On June 28, the event added hot air balloon rides, inflatables, games, paddleboat rides, Outback Ray’s Amazing Animal Show, the MacConmara Academy of Irish Dance and more. One of those activities included a mechanical bucking bronco. Shown at top is 8-year-old Teagan Minor, of North Canton, taking a ride on the machine.
A misting tent and a water slide helped to keep everyone cool on the hot day. Pictured below is 5-year-old Ashlyn Minor, of North Canton, enjoying the slide.
The day finished with a concert by the Journey tribute band Escape and fireworks, pictured above right.
Other Independence Day celebrations are taking place throughout the area. For a listing of events, see “July 4th celebrations span full week” in the June 27, 2014, issue or visit the archives at www.akron.com.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mr. Bubble - 7/22/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 7/22/2014
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014