Richfield Village officials sell fire truck
Summit County Councilman Nick Kostandaras (D-District 1), a Richfield Village resident, told Richfield Village Council July 1 the county will buy a used fire truck from the village.
Richfield Village recently purchased a new fire pumper truck for $563,542. Kostandaras said the county will pay the village $125,000 for the used truck.
He thanked Council, Mayor Bobbie Beshara, Fire Chief Jason Mihalek and Assistant Fire Chief Phil McLean for their “interest in the new fire truck and for providing the best quality of service.”
Council President Rick Hudak thanked Kostandaras.
In other news, Courtney Hudson, of Akron Children’s Hospital, spoke, thanking Council for its support of Summit County Kids Month. She said the county will focus on these weekly topics during August: early childhood education, kindergarten readiness, and wellness and family safety.
The county also will present its annual Summit for Kids Aug. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the John S. Knight Center in Downtown Akron.
Also during the meeting, Beshara announced Summit County will sponsor Community Safety Day at the county fairgrounds July 24 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
“They want to raise public awareness of the county safety forces in a family-friendly environment,” she said.
Beshara also said Richfield’s 37th annual Safety Town graduation took place in Council Chambers June 30.
The mayor also talked about the recent Food Truck Rodeo and Rock Garden dedication, thanking the Bath-Richfield Kiwanis Club and Recreation Director Ruth Jocek.
Beshara said the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) is out “in full force.” She said lanes and ramps will be closed on Interstate 271 by the former Coliseum site, with detours posted.
ODOT officials have announced the following ramp closures beginning July 7 for 30 days for ramp reconstruction work:
√ The I-271 northbound exit ramp to state Route (SR) 303 is closed. The detour is I-271 northbound to SR 8 to SR 303.
√ The SR 303 entrance ramp to I-271 northbound is closed. The detour is SR 303 to Brecksville Road to Wheatley Road.
Also, the mayor said the Brecksville Road construction should be finished by Aug. 30.
In other business:
- Council approved Tessa Torowski as the newest member of the Planning and Zoning Commission. She replaces Pat Norris, who is moving to the Joint Recreation Board. Torowski has been on the Board of Zoning Appeals for the past two years.
Bill Taylor and Ralph McNearney will join Norris as Richfield Village’s representatives to the Joint Recreation Board, Councilman Michael Lyons reported.
In addition, Council approved the hiring of Anthony Katzakis, Gabe Gerbasi and Jared Winar as part-time paramedics. All three are Richfield Village residents.
- Income tax receipts are up 4.3 percent for the month of June over last year, and up 3.1 percent for the year to date, according to the report of Finance Director Sandy Turk.
- Beshara also said the village’s intern has been writing “tickets” to reward children for wearing their bicycle helmets.
- Hudak and Beshara talked about the upcoming summer events. The calendar includes the Kelly Miller Circus July 26; the Sweet Corn Ride July 27; the Community Day parade Aug. 8; the Steak Fry, Safety Forces Open House and Explorer Pancake Breakfast Aug. 9; and the main Community Day celebration, including fireworks, Aug. 10.
The next meeting is set for July 15 at 8 p.m. at Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road.
More Community News
- APS superintendent touts academy concept
- Polar Bear Jumpers take plunge for good
- Gas pump stickers protect against ‘skimming’
- Staying safe when selling online
- State Sen. Sykes focused on local needs
- West Side News & Notes
- Fairlawn going out for bid on concrete slab program
- Bath trustees expecting faster internet
- Trustees OK conditional use of barns as event centers
- Court honors Cacioppo, Davis
- Wadsworth judge presents Sharon trustees with yearly report
- Akron-Canton Foodbank welcomes new board members
- New Franklin reviewing health care plan
- Polar Bear Jumpers take plunge for good
- Lakemore eyeing park area for dogs at Waterworks
- Commission hears open enrollment report
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- All City Musical: “Mary Poppins”: high school age students - 2/28/2017
- Adult Pottery - 2/28/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 2/28/2017
- Preschool Story Time: ages 2-5 - 2/28/2017
- Metalsmithing Basics - 2/28/2017