Richfield Village officials sell fire truck
Summit County Councilman Nick Kostandaras (D-District 1), a Richfield Village resident, told Richfield Village Council July 1 the county will buy a used fire truck from the village.
Richfield Village recently purchased a new fire pumper truck for $563,542. Kostandaras said the county will pay the village $125,000 for the used truck.
He thanked Council, Mayor Bobbie Beshara, Fire Chief Jason Mihalek and Assistant Fire Chief Phil McLean for their “interest in the new fire truck and for providing the best quality of service.”
Council President Rick Hudak thanked Kostandaras.
In other news, Courtney Hudson, of Akron Children’s Hospital, spoke, thanking Council for its support of Summit County Kids Month. She said the county will focus on these weekly topics during August: early childhood education, kindergarten readiness, and wellness and family safety.
The county also will present its annual Summit for Kids Aug. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the John S. Knight Center in Downtown Akron.
Also during the meeting, Beshara announced Summit County will sponsor Community Safety Day at the county fairgrounds July 24 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
“They want to raise public awareness of the county safety forces in a family-friendly environment,” she said.
Beshara also said Richfield’s 37th annual Safety Town graduation took place in Council Chambers June 30.
The mayor also talked about the recent Food Truck Rodeo and Rock Garden dedication, thanking the Bath-Richfield Kiwanis Club and Recreation Director Ruth Jocek.
Beshara said the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) is out “in full force.” She said lanes and ramps will be closed on Interstate 271 by the former Coliseum site, with detours posted.
ODOT officials have announced the following ramp closures beginning July 7 for 30 days for ramp reconstruction work:
√ The I-271 northbound exit ramp to state Route (SR) 303 is closed. The detour is I-271 northbound to SR 8 to SR 303.
√ The SR 303 entrance ramp to I-271 northbound is closed. The detour is SR 303 to Brecksville Road to Wheatley Road.
Also, the mayor said the Brecksville Road construction should be finished by Aug. 30.
In other business:
- Council approved Tessa Torowski as the newest member of the Planning and Zoning Commission. She replaces Pat Norris, who is moving to the Joint Recreation Board. Torowski has been on the Board of Zoning Appeals for the past two years.
Bill Taylor and Ralph McNearney will join Norris as Richfield Village’s representatives to the Joint Recreation Board, Councilman Michael Lyons reported.
In addition, Council approved the hiring of Anthony Katzakis, Gabe Gerbasi and Jared Winar as part-time paramedics. All three are Richfield Village residents.
- Income tax receipts are up 4.3 percent for the month of June over last year, and up 3.1 percent for the year to date, according to the report of Finance Director Sandy Turk.
- Beshara also said the village’s intern has been writing “tickets” to reward children for wearing their bicycle helmets.
- Hudak and Beshara talked about the upcoming summer events. The calendar includes the Kelly Miller Circus July 26; the Sweet Corn Ride July 27; the Community Day parade Aug. 8; the Steak Fry, Safety Forces Open House and Explorer Pancake Breakfast Aug. 9; and the main Community Day celebration, including fireworks, Aug. 10.
The next meeting is set for July 15 at 8 p.m. at Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council taps Forney for at-large seat
- Fairlawn fireworks brighten skies
- Artistry displayed as Stan Hywet wall rebuilt
- Faith Lutheran welcoming St. John/St. Paul to its congregation
- West Hill wall gets artistic touch
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Political News & Notes
- Norton officers run for Special Olympics
- Juvenile Court’s Detention Center receives accreditation
- Bath trustees approve 2016 budget
- Boston officials considering police levy for November ballot
- Richfield trustees give construction go-ahead
- Sharon residents express concerns about flooding
- SCCS’ Citizens Advisory Committee hosts awards event
- Season busy time for zoning departments
- Springfield ‘rocks’ during annual event
- Green board hires assistant super
- Blitz obstacle course coming to Green July 11
- Dragon Boat Festival returns for third year
- South Side News & Notes
- Ford, Vaughn sentenced for death of New Franklin couple
- Akron Council taps Forney for at-large seat
Calendar of Events
- Exploring the Tamarack Bog - 7/5/2015
- History of the Rock and Herb Garden - 7/5/2015
- Freedom Brass Band - 7/5/2015
- Acid Cats - 7/6/2015
- Cuyahoga Falls Community Band - 7/6/2015