Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
At the July 14 meeting, Norton City Council approved 5-0 an ordinance to authorize Administrative Officer Valerie Wax Carr to enter into an agreement with Environmental Design Group (EDG) for professional engineering services in connection with the design of flood control measures for Newpark Drive. Councilmen Scott Pelot (at large) and Dennis McGlone (at large) were not present at the meeting.
According to Council President Rick Rodgers (Ward 1), this project could also help prevent flooding to several businesses on Barber Road as well as on Newpark Drive. Rodgers added this contract is in connection with grant funding the city received in 2010 from the Ohio Public Works Commission. According to Wax Carr, the grants are worth almost $900,000, but because the city has not done anything with the money since receiving it, the city could lose it if it doesn’t take steps soon. Wax Carr said Norton has about a year to have a design, along with a significant amount of construction, completed if city officials don’t want to forfeit the grant money.
According to Councilwoman Charlotte Whipkey (at large), the agreement with EDG will cost the city $74,000, but it can recoup that money from the grant.
The ordinance allows EDG to begin work on designs, and construction will probably begin in spring 2015, according to Wax Carr.
Also at the meeting, Council approved an ordinance confirming the appointment of Wax Carr as the city’s administrative officer. Wax Carr, of Cuyahoga Falls, who previously served as the service director there, was appointed to the position in Norton on an interim basis in February. She took the place of Richard Ryland, who resigned from the administrator position this past November. She was considered on an interim basis for six months because the charter states that after six months, the person holding the job must be a Norton resident, according to city officials.
However, in the May Primary Election, voters approved a charter change eliminating the residency requirement.
In other business, Council;
- approved an ordinance vacating parts of Kingston Avenue;
- conducted a second reading of an ordinance authorizing Wax Carr to enter into an agreement with EDG for professional engineering services in connection with the proposed restoration of wetlands along Wolf Creek and Pigeon Creek;
- approved an ordinance to provide for the issuance and sale of notes not to exceed $80,000 in anticipation of the issuance of bonds to pay costs of acquiring real property for municipal purposes;
- approved an ordinance to provide for the issuance and sale of notes not to exceed $225,000 in anticipation of the issuance of bonds to pay a portion of the costs of constructing, furnishing, equipping and otherwise improving a fire station; and
- approved an ordinance to provide for the issuance and sale of notes not to exceed $160,000 in anticipation of the issuance of bonds to pay costs of acquiring real property for municipal purposes.
Council will be on summer recess for the next month, unless there is a need for a special meeting, according to Council’s website.
Council next will meet for a work session Aug. 18 and for its regular meeting Aug. 25, both at 7 p.m., in Council Chambers at the Safety-Administration Building, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Gardening Through the Year: Wreath Making - 12/4/2016
- ”Nutcracker” - 12/4/2016
- University of Akron Choirs: ‘Tis the Season - 12/4/2016
- Dixieland Jazz Concert - 12/4/2016
- Crafty Mart Presents Cottage Mart - 12/4/2016