Croghan Park rededicated
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Though the morning was rainy, visitors gathered for the festivities, which included a War of 1812 Encampment, shown above right. The William Wetmore Chapter Daughters of 1812 teamed up with the city to create the encampment, which was in place all day to provide visitors with the experience of a type of camp Col. George Croghan and his men may have made as they were traveling through the area in 1813 on their way to Fort Stephenson.
An authentic 1812 cannon was fired at noon, and a musket salute also was part of the day’s activities as well, shown at top.
Fairlawn Mayor Bill Roth spoke during the rededication ceremony. In addition, the ceremony brought attention to the return of a monument noting the significance of Col. Croghan in the Fairlawn area. According to Parks and Recreation Director Laurie Beisecker, the removal of that marker helped to set in motion the July 19 activities.
When park renovations began last year, the monument indicating Col. Croghan went through the area during the War of 1812 was removed, she said.
“We got several phone calls asking why the monument had been removed and that kind of snowballed into this event,” she said.
The festivities also put a spotlight on the upgrades recently done in the park, including installation of a new steel bridge. Members of Boy Scout Troop No. 380, serving as Color Guard, are shown crossing the new structure, at bottom right.
— By Ariel Hakim
More Community News
- Moneypenny ready to take mayor’s seat
- Copley celebrates Memorial Day
- Founders’ Day will mark AA’s 80th year
- Shy shares credit for park district successes
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley asks Ohio Supreme Court to hear Rothrock appeal
- Historic designation sought for Keyser property
- Copley trustees approve building replacement
- Richfield police chief warns residents about burglars
- Richfield trustees discuss Crowell Hilaka property use
- Council reviews rebids for Central Park
- Green celebrates Memorial Day
- New Franklin sinks idea for Tudor House dock
- Green assistant fire chief retiring
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Migration: for ages 3-6 - 5/29/2015
- Cuyahoga Valley Photographic Society - 5/29/2015
- Any Way You Want It with Broken Promise - 5/29/2015
- Full Moon Fever with Mo Mojo - 5/29/2015
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015