West Side Education News & Notes
Highland STAR awards presented
GRANGER — The Staff and Teacher Award Recognition (STAR) program honors a Highland teacher, staff or community member for their outstanding achievements. Each award recipient is presented with a certificate and a box of bonbons from The Bon Bon Cakery or, new this year, the Highland Diamond tree ornament etched by Carrie Rischmiller.
This year’s STAR Award Recipients for the 2014 Highland Campaign included:
√ Superintendent Catherine Aukerman; Treasurer Neil Barnes; bus driver Sherry Marsh;
√ Shelby Cowles, Brendan Dade, Charles Franchetti, Brian Hare, Stacy Keller and Anna Taylor, from Highland Middle School;
√ Dana Kenneley, Tina Hummel and Melissa Waltos, from Granger Elementary School; and
√ Pete Houghtaling and Rob Henry, from Hinckley Elementary School.
Proceeds from the program are used to fund learning opportunities for Highland Local Schools and the community. The Highland Foundation awards grants for classroom innovation, special needs, musical enrichment and artist-in-residences. Grants are awarded for projects and programs that demonstrate creative teaching practices, seek to engage students and explore new and imaginative curriculum ideas.
For details, contact Michelle Cottrell at 330-241-4428.
School garment collection for children at APS
NORTHEAST AKRON — Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Zeta Theta Omega Chapter will host “Fill the Rack,” an event to collect new or gently used school uniforms, new socks and undergarments.
The collection will take place Aug. 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at East Community Learning Center, 80 Brittain Road.
Uniforms will be distributed to elementary students who attend Akron Public Schools (APS). Accepted will be polo shirts (any color), blouses and shirts; skirts, shorts and skorts in navy blue, black and khaki; socks; and undergarments.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014