West Side Education News & Notes
Highland STAR awards presented
GRANGER — The Staff and Teacher Award Recognition (STAR) program honors a Highland teacher, staff or community member for their outstanding achievements. Each award recipient is presented with a certificate and a box of bonbons from The Bon Bon Cakery or, new this year, the Highland Diamond tree ornament etched by Carrie Rischmiller.
This year’s STAR Award Recipients for the 2014 Highland Campaign included:
√ Superintendent Catherine Aukerman; Treasurer Neil Barnes; bus driver Sherry Marsh;
√ Shelby Cowles, Brendan Dade, Charles Franchetti, Brian Hare, Stacy Keller and Anna Taylor, from Highland Middle School;
√ Dana Kenneley, Tina Hummel and Melissa Waltos, from Granger Elementary School; and
√ Pete Houghtaling and Rob Henry, from Hinckley Elementary School.
Proceeds from the program are used to fund learning opportunities for Highland Local Schools and the community. The Highland Foundation awards grants for classroom innovation, special needs, musical enrichment and artist-in-residences. Grants are awarded for projects and programs that demonstrate creative teaching practices, seek to engage students and explore new and imaginative curriculum ideas.
For details, contact Michelle Cottrell at 330-241-4428.
School garment collection for children at APS
NORTHEAST AKRON — Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Zeta Theta Omega Chapter will host “Fill the Rack,” an event to collect new or gently used school uniforms, new socks and undergarments.
The collection will take place Aug. 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at East Community Learning Center, 80 Brittain Road.
Uniforms will be distributed to elementary students who attend Akron Public Schools (APS). Accepted will be polo shirts (any color), blouses and shirts; skirts, shorts and skorts in navy blue, black and khaki; socks; and undergarments.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014
- Sweat Lodge Ceremony - 12/20/2014
- Ugly Sweater Hike and Fire - 12/20/2014
- Hiking for the Health of It - 12/20/2014