West Side Education News & Notes
Highland STAR awards presented
GRANGER — The Staff and Teacher Award Recognition (STAR) program honors a Highland teacher, staff or community member for their outstanding achievements. Each award recipient is presented with a certificate and a box of bonbons from The Bon Bon Cakery or, new this year, the Highland Diamond tree ornament etched by Carrie Rischmiller.
This year’s STAR Award Recipients for the 2014 Highland Campaign included:
√ Superintendent Catherine Aukerman; Treasurer Neil Barnes; bus driver Sherry Marsh;
√ Shelby Cowles, Brendan Dade, Charles Franchetti, Brian Hare, Stacy Keller and Anna Taylor, from Highland Middle School;
√ Dana Kenneley, Tina Hummel and Melissa Waltos, from Granger Elementary School; and
√ Pete Houghtaling and Rob Henry, from Hinckley Elementary School.
Proceeds from the program are used to fund learning opportunities for Highland Local Schools and the community. The Highland Foundation awards grants for classroom innovation, special needs, musical enrichment and artist-in-residences. Grants are awarded for projects and programs that demonstrate creative teaching practices, seek to engage students and explore new and imaginative curriculum ideas.
For details, contact Michelle Cottrell at 330-241-4428.
School garment collection for children at APS
NORTHEAST AKRON — Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Zeta Theta Omega Chapter will host “Fill the Rack,” an event to collect new or gently used school uniforms, new socks and undergarments.
The collection will take place Aug. 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at East Community Learning Center, 80 Brittain Road.
Uniforms will be distributed to elementary students who attend Akron Public Schools (APS). Accepted will be polo shirts (any color), blouses and shirts; skirts, shorts and skorts in navy blue, black and khaki; socks; and undergarments.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Dick Cooper Holiday Concert - 12/5/2016
- Cuyahoga Falls Community Band and Chorus Holiday Concert: - 12/5/2016
- Elf on a Shelf - 12/5/2016
- Cardio Hike - 12/5/2016
- “Spring Awakening” - 12/6/2016