Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
The Granger Board of Trustees gave the go ahead to Granger Fire Chief Jim Paulett to apply for a grant in support of a Multi-Agency Radio Communications System (MARCS) during the July 28 meeting.
Paulett said the Granger Fire Department has the opportunity to submit a proposal jointly with Hinckley and Sharon to the Ohio Fire Marshal for a $50,000 grant in support of MARCS.
Paulett said funds for the grant are available from the state because MARCS is preferred for all safety services to use when taking part in incidents that involve more than one department. He said he believes there will eventually be a mandate for all departments to use the system and, if awarded the grant, it would provide the equipment at no cost to the departments.
Paulett said the funds would purchase eight radios, necessary accessories and the use of the MARCS radio frequency channels for one year. He said at the end of the year, there will be a $2,100 annual cost to use the frequency. Paulett said creation of a joint fire district is not a requirement for the MARCS grant, but priority will be given to departments that submit their proposals together. He added Hinckley Fire Chief Tim Potts is coordinating this initiative and it is possible additional departments also will submit applications for this grant.
In other Fire Department matters, Paulett reported the department assisted in extinguishing a house fire in Bath the night of July 26. He said more than 10 personnel from his department provided assistance.
Paulett also stated the Granger Fire Department continues to train its personnel on the John Deere Gator recently purchased jointly with the Sharon Fire Department. He said Sharon’s department has used the new equipment twice since it arrived. He added the MedBed has not yet been installed and the departments are currently pricing trailers.
In other business:
- Service Director Mark Novak reported he received a check for work done on a driveway culvert at 4128 Beach Road.
- Zoning Inspector Annie George reported the Zoning Commission will meet Aug. 5. She also said she submitted a proposal for a land conservancy for the trustees to review.
Trustee Richard Pace reported the board is still looking for alternates for the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Zoning Commission. He said so far, one interested person has called about open positions, but the board is looking for more. He said anyone interested can contact the trustees at the Administration Building at 330-239-3611.
- Fiscal Officer Donald Baker reported he filed documentation for the fire and EMS levy and road levy to be included on the Nov. 4 ballot.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ to stripe Stony Hill, Beach, Boneta, Remsen and Wilbur roads;
√ to reject the previous bid for the township’s chipping and sealing project;
√ a resolution commending long-time township employee Carol Kraus for her more than 50 years of service to Granger; and
√ a request for the Granger Historical Society to enter into an agreement with the Genealogical Society of Utah.
The next Granger Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Aug. 7 at 7:30 p.m. at the Granger Township Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Gardening Through the Year: Wreath Making - 12/4/2016
- ”Nutcracker” - 12/4/2016
- University of Akron Choirs: ‘Tis the Season - 12/4/2016
- Dixieland Jazz Concert - 12/4/2016
- Crafty Mart Presents Cottage Mart - 12/4/2016