Boston officials discuss new safety measures
At the Boston Township Board of Trustees meeting Aug. 13, trustees discussed taking action to ensure those living alone in the township are checked-in on on a regular basis.
The discussion began when Assistant Zoning Inspector Doug Mayer reported investigating what was thought to be an abandoned residence on Akron-Cleveland Road. After much investigation, it was discovered one of the owners of the property, who lived next door on Kendall Park Road, had died in February, and it was thought the other owner, his wife, was living with family.
Mayer contacted the family and was told this was not the case. He called the Valley Fire District and, during a search of the house, a body was found. Mayer said the person had died earlier this year.
Mayer reported both properties were not well kept and looked as if no one had been in or out of them all year.
Trustee Amy Anderson said the township needs to set up something to prevent this from happening again.
“We need to take a look at who is living alone and start having some kind of system,” Anderson said. “We need to do something so this doesn’t happen again.”
Mayer agreed and added this system needs to be for all single people, regardless of age, because something can happen at any time.
Mayer said he gave the Boston senior snowplow list to a police officer who was interested in setting up a program like this. He added the list doesn’t have everyone who lives alone, but it’s a start.
Mayer, along with the trustees and Police Chief Joe Varga, plan to work together to come up with a solution for this issue.
Also during the meeting, Zoning Inspector Larry Sulzer reported a special meeting was held Aug. 5 among himself, Bob Pruitt, township legal counsel Ed Pullekins, Pruitt’s attorney Ken Fickey, Mayer and Trustee Randy Bergdorf to discuss the clearing of Pruitt’s property, which has several vehicles and trailers on it. At the meeting, Pruitt stated his intentions to move at least one of the trailers off his property, with the others to follow, according to Sulzer.
Bergdorf reported speaking to Pruitt on the evening of Aug. 13 and said Pruitt hoped to have one trailer off his property that evening. Bergdorf said Aug. 19 the trailer was removed Aug. 16.
In other business:
- Road Superintendent Tim Tesmer reported the work being done on Hines Hill Road was expected to be completed by Aug. 15. Construction was delayed a few times due to weather during the project, according to Tesmer.
- Bergdorf reported the sign in front of the Boston Township Hall has been installed.
- Tesmer also reported he was informed of a grant available through the Ohio Department of Transportation to pay 100 percent of the costs of replacing traffic signs that need to be updated. He said the grant should be available sometime in the next two years.
The next regular Boston Board of Trustees meeting will be Aug. 27 at 6:30 p.m. in the administrative offices at Boston Township Hall, located at the corner of Main Street and Riverview Road in Peninsula.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014