Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
|Green High School soccer players and supporters recently attended a dining night out at Five Guys Burgers & Fries on The Strip to raise funds for the 2014 Kick for The Cure event.|
|This Kick for The Cure T-shirt quilt, made and donated by Green High School physical education teacher Michele Whitmer, is one of this year’s raffle items that will be available at the Sept. 13 event.
|This year’s Kick for the Cure T-shirts — with the front and back graphics shown above and below, respectively — are now available. Students wearing the tee will be admitted free with a paying adult.|
|Photos courtesy of Green Kick for The Cure|
The event, under the theme “3 Schools — 1 Goal,” is a fundraiser that includes the girls varsity and junior varsity (JV) soccer teams from Green and North Canton Hoover high schools, as well as the boys varsity soccer teams from Green and Louisville high schools, playing soccer to raise money for cancer causes and raise awareness of the disease.
In addition, the Green Youth Soccer Association is participating, according to event officials.
The inaugural event, held in 2007 in honor of a Green soccer coach’s wife who was battling cancer and who died in 2008, continues each year to honor her and all others who have been touched by cancer, according to event officials.
Event officials said each year charities are selected to receive money raised from the special fundraiser. Last year, the event raised $19,160 for Camp Quality Ohio and the Susan G. Komen Foundation. This year, Kick for the Cure has again selected Camp Quality Ohio and also Akron General’s Visiting Nurse Service Hospice Care Center to be the recipients of funds raised.
Donations raised since Kick for the Cure began in 2007 total over $76,000, according to event officials.
Along with plenty of soccer, the event will offer 50/50 drawings, basket raffles, carnival games, music, food, a dunk tank, inflatables, face painting and more. Special guests will include the Green High School Ensemble, Green High School Dance Team and Junior Dance Camp participants, in addition to other activities.
Soccer games will include: boys varsity at 1 p.m.; Green Youth Soccer Association at 3:30 p.m.; JV girls at 5 p.m.; and varsity girls at 7 p.m.
At halftime, at 4 p.m., a balloon release is planned, along with field group photos.
Gates will open at 1 p.m., and admission is $5 for adults and $2 for students.
Advertising in this year’s program, game sponsorships and donations of cash and raffle baskets are being accepted by Dennis Guilmette (fundraising chairman) at 216-334-4867 and Kelly Seman (raffle basket coordinator) at 330-607-8916. Donations also can be sent directly to Kick for the Cure, P.O. Box 433, Green, OH 44232.
Last year, over 1,000 Kick for the Cure T-shirts were sold, according to event officials. This year’s tees, sporting the “3 Schools — 1 Goal” theme, are now available. Students wearing the tee will be admitted free with a paying adult.
To purchase tees, volunteer at the event, make a donation or for more information, visit GreenKickforTheCure on Facebook.
More Community News
- School options presented at joint meeting
- Fans celebrate Cavs’ NBA championship
- Akron police planning for RNC
- Highland Square resident to serve as RNC delegate
- Celebrations mark Independence Day
- West Side News & Notes
- County inmates still staying elsewhere
- Fairlawn extends deadline for flood assistance program
- Copley shed to house portable toilet
- Copley ‘All In’ for Cavs’ championship game
- Bath trustees withdraw road levy from November ballot
- Sharon residents warned about skimmers at gas pumps
- City getting tough on zoning infractions
- Trustees defer decision on school
- Coventry BOE says ‘no’ to new tax levy
- School building options presented at joint meeting
- South Side News & Notes
- Mayor showcases village to investors
- Akron police planning for RNC
- County nearly ready for old Edwin Shaw demolition
- Eagles donates to K-9 program
Calendar of Events
- TimberNook Camp Sneak Peek - 6/26/2016
- Cat Show - 6/26/2016
- Belairs - 6/26/2016
- “A Star for Freedom” - 6/26/2016
- Summer Basketball Skills Camp - 6/27/2016