Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
|Green High School soccer players and supporters recently attended a dining night out at Five Guys Burgers & Fries on The Strip to raise funds for the 2014 Kick for The Cure event.|
|This Kick for The Cure T-shirt quilt, made and donated by Green High School physical education teacher Michele Whitmer, is one of this year’s raffle items that will be available at the Sept. 13 event.
|This year’s Kick for the Cure T-shirts — with the front and back graphics shown above and below, respectively — are now available. Students wearing the tee will be admitted free with a paying adult.|
|Photos courtesy of Green Kick for The Cure|
The event, under the theme “3 Schools — 1 Goal,” is a fundraiser that includes the girls varsity and junior varsity (JV) soccer teams from Green and North Canton Hoover high schools, as well as the boys varsity soccer teams from Green and Louisville high schools, playing soccer to raise money for cancer causes and raise awareness of the disease.
In addition, the Green Youth Soccer Association is participating, according to event officials.
The inaugural event, held in 2007 in honor of a Green soccer coach’s wife who was battling cancer and who died in 2008, continues each year to honor her and all others who have been touched by cancer, according to event officials.
Event officials said each year charities are selected to receive money raised from the special fundraiser. Last year, the event raised $19,160 for Camp Quality Ohio and the Susan G. Komen Foundation. This year, Kick for the Cure has again selected Camp Quality Ohio and also Akron General’s Visiting Nurse Service Hospice Care Center to be the recipients of funds raised.
Donations raised since Kick for the Cure began in 2007 total over $76,000, according to event officials.
Along with plenty of soccer, the event will offer 50/50 drawings, basket raffles, carnival games, music, food, a dunk tank, inflatables, face painting and more. Special guests will include the Green High School Ensemble, Green High School Dance Team and Junior Dance Camp participants, in addition to other activities.
Soccer games will include: boys varsity at 1 p.m.; Green Youth Soccer Association at 3:30 p.m.; JV girls at 5 p.m.; and varsity girls at 7 p.m.
At halftime, at 4 p.m., a balloon release is planned, along with field group photos.
Gates will open at 1 p.m., and admission is $5 for adults and $2 for students.
Advertising in this year’s program, game sponsorships and donations of cash and raffle baskets are being accepted by Dennis Guilmette (fundraising chairman) at 216-334-4867 and Kelly Seman (raffle basket coordinator) at 330-607-8916. Donations also can be sent directly to Kick for the Cure, P.O. Box 433, Green, OH 44232.
Last year, over 1,000 Kick for the Cure T-shirts were sold, according to event officials. This year’s tees, sporting the “3 Schools — 1 Goal” theme, are now available. Students wearing the tee will be admitted free with a paying adult.
To purchase tees, volunteer at the event, make a donation or for more information, visit GreenKickforTheCure on Facebook.
More Community News
- Health officials turn attention to flu
- Vet Art Project promotes healing through shared stories
- Retired Norton police chief looks back on career
- Akron City Council commends Amber Vinson
- Preservation Alliance celebrating 30 years
- County planning Boston Mills Road improvements
- Natatorium’s deficit lessens in Falls
- Trustees discuss potential change in JEDD tax collection
- Cost will determine sewer system type in Norton
- Granger trustees approve work on Fire Station parking lot
- Richfield Village Council approves new cemetery fees
- Local Boy Scout earns Eagle rank with patio build
- West Side News & Notes
- Health officials turn attention to flu
- Springfield water tower to be demolished
- Green school board hears positive forecast
- Green Council debates tax increase support
- County land bank able to sell lands without competitive bidding
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Virtues and Vices” to benefit Child Guidance and Family Solutions - 11/1/2014
- Neos Dance Theatre’s “Count: The Legend of Dracula” - 11/1/2014
- Basket Weaving 101: Pumpkin Basket - 11/1/2014
- Learn and Do Safety Fair - 11/1/2014
- Composting - 11/1/2014