Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
Springfield Trustee Deborah Davis announced Aug. 14 township officials are continuing to work with officials from the City of Akron, the Summit County Department of Environmental Services and the county executive to further reduce water/sewer bills for township residents billed through flat rates.
Several residents have voiced their concerns on the matter at trustees’ meetings during the past few months.
Davis said township officials understand the frustration residents are feeling when they see bills that are four times the rate of others in the area because they are not on a meter.
A number of residents were seeing bills reduced by $30 a month beginning in July thanks to initial efforts on the matter, but many residents reported they are still paying far more than similar households.
Davis has said residents may be able to reduce their bills by having a City of Akron-approved water meter installed, which has been estimated to cost about $500, $360 of which can be paid over 12 months. To do so, residents should call 330-375-2690. Davis said Akron officials were recommending the meter installation only for small households in order to see a payback.
In other business, Trustee Joe DiLauro apologized for “not sticking up” for the Volunteer Auxiliary Springfield Police (VASP) in a past meeting when a resident made derogatory remarks about the group.
VASP is an all-volunteer organization that assists the Springfield Police Department with noncriminal-related police work to free up police officers for more serious duties. The group has about 20 members and logged almost 4,000 hours of service last year, according to VASP Coordinator Linda Denton.
“We are privileged and honored to have an organization like VASP,” said DiLauro.
Davis added, “VASP is just priceless. They have really contributed to our community.”
Trustee Dean Young was absent from the meeting.
Also during the meeting, Police Chief John Smith reported there were no police incidents during the Rock the Docks event Aug. 1-3.
“There were no problems and everything went smoothly,” he said.
In other business, trustees approved:
- the closure of Canfield Road Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the Car Cruise In;
- the declaration of property located at 2618 Massillon Road as a nuisance, initiating abatement for trash removal, debris and mowing;
- the certification of the cost of abatement for 36 properties in the township, with liens to be placed on the property tax duplicates in amounts ranging from $25 to $425; and
- the closure of a nuisance abatement for 1396 Krumroy Road, as the property has been cleaned up.
Davis also stated the township has received numerous calls about the closure of its recycling center, which she said was closed last month due to people dumping garbage in the area. She advised residents all the schools in the township have paper and recycling bins for paper and cardboard items. She also suggested residents contact their trash provider about recycling.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will take place Sept. 11 at its new meeting time of 6 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Delegates, safety forces fill Cleveland
- Falls festival celebrates Italian style
- Akron getting new municipal courthouse
- Area delegates head to Democratic convention
- West Side News & Notes
- Bath trustees reject fact-finding report
- Boston trustees reviewing new police contract
- NAMI celebrates anniversary, awardees
- Zoning issues addressed by Sharon officials, residents
- Display highlights fight against cancer
- Good Neighbors grateful for new van
- Pirates share island fun
- Springfield seeking renewal of fire levy
- Coventry placing two levies on November ballot
- Trustees decline grant funds for bank stabilization project
- South Side News & Notes
- Resident says taxes too high in New Franklin
- Akron getting new municipal courthouse
- Local officials respond after spike in overdoses
- Area delegates heading to Democratic convention
Calendar of Events
- Neil Zurcher: The Best of One-Tank Trips - 7/26/2016
- Excel Basics - 7/26/2016
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 7/27/2016
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club: Moises Borges Brazilian Jazz Band - 7/27/2016
- The Pop Tarts - 7/27/2016