Norton OKs fire truck purchase
At the Aug. 25 Norton City Council meeting, members voted in favor of purchasing a new fire truck.
According to the ordinance, the city will purchase the truck from Advantech Service and Parts LLC.
At the work session held Aug. 18, Council President Rick Rodgers (Ward 1) noted the city recently received a grant for $356,250, and Norton’s portion of the cost of the truck is $18,750. This money will be used to purchase the truck for $375,000.
Council also approved a 30-day moratorium on an ordinance that enforces parking and storage restrictions on major recreational equipment, such as boats, travel trailers and campers on properties.
Council is examining this ordinance and deciding if a new ordinance should be added in regard to storage pods, as well as if changes are needed in regard to the regulation of the current parking and storage restrictions for major recreational equipment within the city. The moratorium will give Council sufficient time to study the necessary revisions, according to city officials.
In other business, Council approved an ordinance authorizing the finance director to file the city’s alternative tax budget with the Summit County Budget Commission. According to Ron Messner, who was recently hired as finance director, this is something the city files yearly. Messner said because former finance director Laura Starosta recently left, the city was granted an extension, but the deadline is approaching at the end of this month.
Council also approved the Summit County Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding for Job Creation and Retention and Tax Revenue Sharing.
Council will meet for a work session Sept. 2 and for its meeting Sept. 8, both at 7 p.m., in Council Chambers at the Safety-Administration Building, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive.
More Community News
- Derby celebrates 78th year
- Akron City Council OKs Wallhaven project
- Districting proposal making its way to ballot
- Confusion follows Falls Council’s charter change vote
- Boston optimistic with switch to RITA
- Richfield Village officials still considering water tower sites
- Leadership Akron selects members of new class
- Granger firefighters promoted to lieutenant rank
- Sanitarium scrapbook preservation in works
Calendar of Events
- “First Tuesday” Dance - 8/4/2015
- Experience the Underground Railroad - 8/4/2015
- Freezing and Canning Workshop - 8/4/2015
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 8/5/2015
- #Akron Music Scene Showcase - 8/5/2015