Norton OKs fire truck purchase
At the Aug. 25 Norton City Council meeting, members voted in favor of purchasing a new fire truck.
According to the ordinance, the city will purchase the truck from Advantech Service and Parts LLC.
At the work session held Aug. 18, Council President Rick Rodgers (Ward 1) noted the city recently received a grant for $356,250, and Norton’s portion of the cost of the truck is $18,750. This money will be used to purchase the truck for $375,000.
Council also approved a 30-day moratorium on an ordinance that enforces parking and storage restrictions on major recreational equipment, such as boats, travel trailers and campers on properties.
Council is examining this ordinance and deciding if a new ordinance should be added in regard to storage pods, as well as if changes are needed in regard to the regulation of the current parking and storage restrictions for major recreational equipment within the city. The moratorium will give Council sufficient time to study the necessary revisions, according to city officials.
In other business, Council approved an ordinance authorizing the finance director to file the city’s alternative tax budget with the Summit County Budget Commission. According to Ron Messner, who was recently hired as finance director, this is something the city files yearly. Messner said because former finance director Laura Starosta recently left, the city was granted an extension, but the deadline is approaching at the end of this month.
Council also approved the Summit County Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding for Job Creation and Retention and Tax Revenue Sharing.
Council will meet for a work session Sept. 2 and for its meeting Sept. 8, both at 7 p.m., in Council Chambers at the Safety-Administration Building, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive.
More Community News
- First Night Akron full of fun, fireworks
- Hanukkah lights glow in spirit of giving
- Woodridge looking to November for bond issue
- Urban deer complex issue
- New Peter Maurin community center welcoming guests
- West Side News & Notes
- Granger trustees announce pending CRA agreement
- New Copley fire lieutenants sworn in
- Richfield trustees OK police contract with village
- Valley Fire District presents awards
- Richfield Council approves new police contract with township
- Teen celebrates birthday with Toys for Tots donation
- Gay Community Endowment Fund awards $42,700
- New Franklin Council opposing pipeline
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron Community Foundation, fund holders award $1.5 million in grants
Calendar of Events
- Nature Drawing for Kids - 12/28/2014
- Winter Adventure Day Camp - 12/29/2014
- Winter Art Day Camp - 12/30/2014
- Pilates - 12/31/2014
- Kwanzaa Celebrations - 12/31/2014