Granger to purchase new fire truck
The Granger Fire Department is getting a new pumper truck.
The Granger Township Board of Trustees signed off on the purchase of a $419,378 Sutphen Corp. custom pumper at the board’s March 13 meeting. The truck will be purchased through Ohio’s cooperative purchasing program, according to Fiscal Officer Donald Baker.
The new pumper will replace a vehicle in the fire department’s stable, Baker said.
Granger Service Director Mark Novak reported high winds caused minor damage to the Granger Administration Building and the fire department building, Baker said. Some siding and soffit from the back of the Administration Building were lost and the fire department building lost a few roof shingles, Baker said. Novak told trustees the damage was minor and would be quickly repaired, Baker said.
Trustees also agreed to hire Matthew Cern and Jason Lavelle as probationary firefighters, Baker said. Their employment is contingent on passing prehire testing and background checks, he added.
The board also heard reports from department heads.
Novak reported the township is committed to purchasing an additional 100 tons of salt this year, Baker said. The township already has purchased 282 tons of salt at a cost of $18,000 and has paid its subcontractor just over $30,000 this winter for snow removal and ice control, Baker said.
Zoning Inspector Bill Myerhoff reported permits and fees are ahead of last year’s totals, Baker said. The Board of Zoning Appeals will meet March 28 at 7:30 p.m. to consider a conditional variance request for 1941 Medina Road and the Zoning Commission will meet April 11 at 7:30 p.m. for a public hearing on text amendments to the township zoning resolution and to possibly begin deliberations on sign regulations in the zoning code.
Trustees also received more information about an Ohio State Highway Patrol request to use Granger Park for police dog training, Baker said. The training would take place weekly on either Tuesdays or Wednesdays from 8 to 10 a.m. beginning the week of March 20 extending through the end of May, Baker added.
In other business, trustees:
- heard the fire department responded to 17 fire calls, eight emergency medical services calls and three combined calls in February;
- noted bids for the 2017 road program will be opened March 23 at the Medina County Engineer’s Office;
- learned the fire department will participate in a mock accident April 13 at Highland High School. The demonstration, coordinated by the Medina County Sheriff’s Office, is scheduled before the high school prom, Baker said;
- heard Fire Chief Jim Paulett encourage residents to change the batteries in their smoke detectors when daylight saving time took effect; and
- went into executive session to discuss employment and discipline of personnel. No action was taken following the executive session, Baker said.
The next Granger trustees meeting is set for March 27 at 4 p.m. at the Granger Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Mock crash reminds students of risks
- Akron rolls out medical marijuana plan
- Akron Council, BOE delve into issues
- Author ties together causes of opiate epidemic
- Yellow Creek watershed advocates move forward
- West Side News & Notes
- Area Girl Scouts take part in World Thinking Day
- LeBron James announces plan for new Akron school
- Summit first autism-friendly county in Ohio
- Boston BZA fees going up
- BCF launches fundraiser
- Council chambers receives electronic upgrades
- Bath trustees authorize new parking lot design
- Library levy before Medina County voters
- Sharon officials discuss spring projects
- Bright ‘Roland’ back at library
- Venturing Crew clears trail preserve
- Lakemore gearing up for police department
- Author ties together causes of opiate problem
- Coventry Schools levy renewal ‘crucial’ for district
- Township officials addressing opiate epidemic
- Coventry fire department utilizing grant money
- South Side News & Notes
- Springfield trustees move to demolish garage
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017