Norton bond issue campaign to begin
NORTON — Norton City Schools Superintendent Dave Dunn told board members at the regular Aug. 17 meeting that efforts to pass the district’s proposed bond issue soon will begin.
Dunn said supporters would meet Aug. 18 to work on the campaign. A committee is preparing informational hand-outs to be distributed at the Music Booster fund-raiser this weekend and literature to be handed out to staff members at next week’s convocation.
After the meeting, Dunn said it was too early to tell how community members feel about the upcoming bond issue. Dunn said he expects to get a better idea how much support the proposal has after school begins and community members have had the opportunity to discuss the issue at gatherings like the Music Booster’s second annual golf outing fund-raiser this weekend.
After choosing among five facilities improvement plans, the board voted at its Aug. 12 special meeting to put a $42.6 million bond issue and 2-mill levy on the Nov. 3 General Election ballot.
Proceeds from the bond issue would be used to construct two new buildings — one for prekindergarten through third grade and one for students in grades seven through 12. Both buildings would be located on a new campus at Greenwich and Medina roads on land currently under option by the Trust for Public Land, in partnership with Metro Parks, Serving Summit County. The remainder of the bond money would be used to fund a new athletic complex that includes a football stadium and all-weather track, a field house with locker room and weight room and a concession stand; an auditorium at the new junior high/high school and a wrestling room.
A new 2-mill levy would provide funds to pay for operating costs of the new buildings and would replace the current 3-mill levy, officials have said.
The board also approved:
• updating its operating standards for serving children with disabilities to conform with updates in the model special education policies developed by the Ohio Department of Education;
• July financial statement and warrants;
• paid and unpaid leave for Amelia Panchumarti, Norton Primary School teacher; Kara Geig, Grill Elementary School teacher; and Holly Acuff, Grill teacher;
• the resignation of Elizabeth Harris, Cornerstone and Norton Primary academic tutor, effective Aug. 11;
• hiring tutors Jason Genis, Wesley Morris, Anita Stricklen, Cynthia Tittl, Jan Merrick, Elaine DeRuyter and Matt Kersten, pending background and license checks;
• hiring, pending background and license checks, substitute certified personnel James Burns, Carol Canfora and Karen De Neuf Smith and substitute classified personnel Linda Lynden and Daniel Minier;
• Carol Canfora as a home instructor on an as-needed basis;
• Sandy Lowe as an alternate on-bus instructor pending completion of certification;
• a technology course of study for kindergarten through grade 12;
• an agreement with Waypoynt Medicaid Administration Services through Aug. 9, 2012;
• Cindy Addis for a three-year term on the Norton Professional Development Committee; and
• school bus stops for the 2009-10 school year.
The next regular Norton Board of Education meeting will take place Sept. 21 at 7:30 p.m. in the library at Norton High School, 4128 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Summertime Card Party - 7/25/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Jim Gill - 7/25/2014
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction - 7/25/2014
- Tony Rio - 7/25/2014
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014