Akron Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
|Photo courtesy of J Ryan Photography|
Shown at right is the balloon release that took place during the daylong event.
More than 6,000 dedicated community members participated in the 5K walk to honor and celebrate breast cancer survivors, educate people about the disease and raise funds and awareness.
“Cancer does not go away in tough economic times,” said Alexandra Houser Vukoder, ACS spokesperson. “We are so thankful for how this community has pulled together to ensure that we can continue to serve breast cancer patients and their families here in the Akron area.”
Sponsors of this year’s Akron event included Akron Education Association, Curves, OMNOVA Solutions Inc. and Time Warner Cable. Akron Life and Leisure magazine and WQMX 94.9FM were media sponsors, and Lynn Kelly, from WQMX 94.9FM, emceed the walk for its 10th anniversary.
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
Calendar of Events
- Play and Stay Friday - 1/20/2017
- 11th Annual Chili Challenge to benefit Akron Children’s Hospital’s Burn Unit - 1/20/2017
- Silly Fridays: Create Your Own Crystal Garden - 1/20/2017
- Homeschoolers: The Power of Poison: ages 11-14 - 1/20/2017
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 1/21/2017