Akron Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
|Photo courtesy of J Ryan Photography|
Shown at right is the balloon release that took place during the daylong event.
More than 6,000 dedicated community members participated in the 5K walk to honor and celebrate breast cancer survivors, educate people about the disease and raise funds and awareness.
“Cancer does not go away in tough economic times,” said Alexandra Houser Vukoder, ACS spokesperson. “We are so thankful for how this community has pulled together to ensure that we can continue to serve breast cancer patients and their families here in the Akron area.”
Sponsors of this year’s Akron event included Akron Education Association, Curves, OMNOVA Solutions Inc. and Time Warner Cable. Akron Life and Leisure magazine and WQMX 94.9FM were media sponsors, and Lynn Kelly, from WQMX 94.9FM, emceed the walk for its 10th anniversary.
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Saturday Dance and Gymnastics - 8/23/2014
- Sixth Medina International Fest - 8/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 8/23/2014
- “Relatively Speaking” by Alan Ayckbourn - 8/24/2014
- Hudson Stamp Show - 8/24/2014