West Side Education News & Notes
Parent Information Nights set for those affected by Rankin, Essex closures
WEST AKRON — Families and staff of those affected by the recently approved closings of Essex and Rankin elementary schools in the Akron Public Schools District are invited to learn more about their new home schools at the following Parent Information Nights:
• Rankin Parent Information Night, today, April 26, at 5:30 p.m. Participants will include Superintendent David James, Board of Education member Bruce Alexander, Peggy Greiner, Karen Liddell-Anderson, Mary Outley-Kelly, and staff and PTA from Crouse Community Learning Center (CLC) and Schumacher CLC.
For more information, call 330-761-3235. Rankin is located at 415 Storer Ave.
• Essex Parent Information Night, May 14 at 5:30 p.m. Participants will include James, Board member Tim Miller, Greiner, Liddell-Anderson, Outley-Kelly and staff and PTA from Case Elementary School and King CLC.
For more information, call 330-873-3365. Essex is located at 1160 Winhurst Ave.
STVM rocket teams named among top 100
DOWNTOWN AKRON — St. Vincent-St. Mary (STVM) High School rocket teams Alpha and Delta were named among the top 100 teams to compete in Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) National Finals outside of Washington, D.C.
The teams will compete in the national finals after beating out most of the 678 other participating student teams from across the country. The teams will travel to compete in the final fly-off of the TARC May 12.
Members of Team Alpha include Gianna Hammer, Bella Sparhawk, Taylor Seikel, Leah Tomazic, Katie Engels, Hannah Norris, Jack Giles, Mario Volpe and Ryan Donahue. Team Delta consists of Gerry Puhalla, Logan Wilkinson, Tom Paolucci, Stefan Subich, Theo Kanis, Jake Stacks, Alex Morley and Ryan Schweter.
This is the third year in a row STVM has sent teams to the national finals and the sixth time in the 10 years the contest has been in existence.
The contest challenges middle and high school students across the country to design and build a rocket that will climb to 800 feet and stay aloft for between 43 and 47 seconds, using a parachute for a recovery device. Teams also must transport a payload of two raw eggs in their rocket and return them unbroken.
Students compete for $60,000 in prizes and numerous scholarships. The winning team also earns the chance to attend the International Air Show in Paris.
For more information about the TARC, visit www.rocketcontest.org.
SASWMA billboard poster contest winners announced
|Shianne Sweeney, a student in Akron Public Schools’ Commercial Arts program, won the Summit/Akron Solid Waste Management Authority’s annual high school billboard design contest.|
|Photo courtesy of the Summit/Akron Solid Waste Management Authority|
This year’s high school billboard design contest theme was “Begin the Trashformation,” according to SASWMA officials.
The top three winners in the billboard contest included: first, Shianne Sweeney, of Ellet High School; second, Jamie Schreffler, of Manchester High School; and third, Sondra McGraw, of Kenmore High School. Chloe Moore and Zack Patrick, both from Stow-Munroe Falls High School, received honorable mention honors. Shianne and Sondra are enrolled in the Akron Public Schools’ Career and Technical Education Commercial Art program, a two-year intensive art program for juniors and seniors who are interested in the field of visual arts.
The top three designs earned cash prizes and the top five designs will appear on billboards throughout Summit County starting mid-April, according to SASWMA officials.
“Each design illustrates a valuable message; look for billboards placed throughout Summit County,” said Yolanda Walker, executive director of SASWMA.
Students also were encouraged to visit the organization’s website at www.thetrashformation.org to learn more about recycling.
For details on the posters and the contest, visit www.saswma.org.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Education News
- ‘Conceptual agreement’ reached with Copley teachers union
- Revere board approves lunch price increase
- Woodridge seeking raffle car to help fund activities
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green offering breakfast for all students
- APS focus on digital needs, offerings
- Manchester officials considering new bus purchase
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014