Copley-Fairlawn board hears about foundation’s mission
The Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Board of Education heard a brief presentation at the Sept. 19 meeting from the president of the Copley-Fairlawn Schools Foundation.
Dave Supelak said the foundation’s mission is to enhance the educational experience and opportunity for district students by funding college scholarships and classroom project grants. Supelak said the organization raises funds with its annual reverse raffle, scheduled this year for Nov. 17, its 5K for Education and other events. The foundation awarded more than $20,000 in scholarships this year to district students, Supelak said. The not-for-profit organization was founded in 1987 with an endowment of $300,000, he added.
The board also approved a memorandum of understanding with the Copley Teachers Association that will establish bowling as a school-sponsored sport. Bowling has been offered as a club sport for the past two years, said Superintendent Brian Poe. “I’m excited that [bowling] is another opportunity we can offer our students outside the school day,” he added.
In other business, the board:
• approved appropriations and expenditures for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2013;
• approved student handbooks for the 2012-13 school year;
• approved board policies and regulations;
• approved transportation for nonresident students;
• granted unpaid family and medical leave to teacher Andrea Sanchez, effective Oct. 1-19 and for Jennifer Baron effective Nov. 22 through April 26;
• hired tutors Joy Goodenow, Rachel Knight and Ashley Pickering;
• hired home instructors Jason Collins, Deborah Hermann, John Kinsey and Clark Pope;
• hired substitute certified and classified personnel;
• accepted resignations of cafeteria monitor Judy DiRosato and custodian Kimani Grant; and
• hired cafeteria monitors Yolanda Alexander, Kathleen Heil and Karin Peters; special needs assistants Heather Braslawsce and Chantal Ergh; and lifeguards Abby Caye and William Comstock.
The next regular Board of Education meeting will take place Oct. 16 at 7 p.m. in the Main Office Conference Room at Copley High School, 3797 Ridgewood Road.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- American Sewing Guild: Pajama Pants Service Project - 10/6/2015
- University of Akron Symphonic Band/Concert Band - 10/7/2015
- Criss Angel Presents: The Supernaturalists - 10/7/2015
- Cooking Seminar and Happy Hour - 10/8/2015
- Healthy Strides Hike and Talk - 10/8/2015