West Side Education News & Notes
Project GRAD Akron honors Buchtel alumni
COPLEY — Project GRAD Akron will present the Sixth Annual Achieving Dreams Celebration Nov. 1 at 6 p.m. at St. George’s Family Center, 3204 Ridgewood Road.
Celebrating Buchtel High School alumni, the event will include the following honors:
• Memorial — Stanley Bober
• Young Alumni — Brittany Grimes Zaehringer
• Community Service — Sharon Hairston Dennis
• Distinguished Service to Humanity — John Saros and Marilyn Sanders Mobley
• Lifetime Achievement — Dr. Robert and Rochelle Stone
The celebration also will include a silent auction.
Tickets are $60 for general admission or $100 for VIP. Reservations are due Oct. 17. For more information, call 330-761-3113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
OfficeMax makes teachers’ day better
SHARON/HINCKLEY — On Oct. 2, OfficeMax joined with AdoptAClassroom.org to present Sharon Elementary School first-grade teacher Barb McMahon and Hinckley Elementary School first-grade teacher Carolyn Gerk each with more than $1,000 in school supplies for their classrooms.
According to district officials, “A Day Made Better” is a one-day event that awards more than 1,000 teachers with more than $1,000 in school supplies and brings attention to the issue of teacher-funded classrooms.
McMahon has taught at Sharon Elementary for 19 years. Principal Connie Marzullo said in a press release that McMahon is the type of person who quietly does an excellent job, takes an interest in each student and is a lifelong learner.
“Barb continuously helps new teachers and is the glue for her first-grade team. She is not a person who requires a lot of praise, but continues to learn and grow for the benefit of her students,” Marzullo said. “Barb is deserving of this honor because she daily tries to make her students’ days better!”
Gerk has more than 33 years of teaching experience at Highland Schools.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- APS officials not worried about making up snow days
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Norton school board approves contract for treasurer
- St. Hilary School teacher honored
- Revere C.A.R.E. hosting Malley’s fundraiser
- Highland district to benefit from new tax abatement
- Highland Pride Committee accepting nominations
- Snow day issues raised in Akron
- APS to create health career academy
Calendar of Events
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 3/3/2015
- Civic Engagement and Managing Water Resources in Northeast Ohio and Globally - 3/3/2015
- The Nile Project: Interactive Performance & Capstone Concert - 3/3/2015
- Ohio and Erie Canal: A Timeline - 3/4/2015
- Alan Greene and T.C. Odegard - 3/4/2015