West Side Education News & Notes
Project GRAD Akron honors Buchtel alumni
COPLEY — Project GRAD Akron will present the Sixth Annual Achieving Dreams Celebration Nov. 1 at 6 p.m. at St. George’s Family Center, 3204 Ridgewood Road.
Celebrating Buchtel High School alumni, the event will include the following honors:
• Memorial — Stanley Bober
• Young Alumni — Brittany Grimes Zaehringer
• Community Service — Sharon Hairston Dennis
• Distinguished Service to Humanity — John Saros and Marilyn Sanders Mobley
• Lifetime Achievement — Dr. Robert and Rochelle Stone
The celebration also will include a silent auction.
Tickets are $60 for general admission or $100 for VIP. Reservations are due Oct. 17. For more information, call 330-761-3113 or email email@example.com.
OfficeMax makes teachers’ day better
SHARON/HINCKLEY — On Oct. 2, OfficeMax joined with AdoptAClassroom.org to present Sharon Elementary School first-grade teacher Barb McMahon and Hinckley Elementary School first-grade teacher Carolyn Gerk each with more than $1,000 in school supplies for their classrooms.
According to district officials, “A Day Made Better” is a one-day event that awards more than 1,000 teachers with more than $1,000 in school supplies and brings attention to the issue of teacher-funded classrooms.
McMahon has taught at Sharon Elementary for 19 years. Principal Connie Marzullo said in a press release that McMahon is the type of person who quietly does an excellent job, takes an interest in each student and is a lifelong learner.
“Barb continuously helps new teachers and is the glue for her first-grade team. She is not a person who requires a lot of praise, but continues to learn and grow for the benefit of her students,” Marzullo said. “Barb is deserving of this honor because she daily tries to make her students’ days better!”
Gerk has more than 33 years of teaching experience at Highland Schools.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- FHS students sail cardboard vessels in annual race
- Firestone, Litchfield construction bids OK’d
- State education mandates on Woodridge agenda
- Principal, district resident receive Pride Awards
- Springfield district continuing site improvements
- Manchester school board honors retiring treasurer
- Treasurer preparing five-year financial forecast
- Fundraiser for Coventry foundation a success
Calendar of Events
- Easter Family Fun Day - 4/19/2014
- Sensory Story Time - 4/19/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014
- “Snow White and the Magic Mirror: A Grimm Tale” - 4/19/2014