Error leaves Copley High window replacement project incomplete
An architect’s error required approval of a $49,402 change order so a window replacement project at Copley High School could be completed.
The Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Board of Education approved the change order at the Oct. 16 meeting. Business Manager Steve Robinson told the board the architect failed to include 21 windows in one section of the building when he drafted the bid specifications. No one realized the windows were not included until after the contract for $375,400 was awarded in June to Capitol Aluminum and Glass, Robinson said. Robinson said the district could have waited until next summer to replace the windows, but felt they should be replaced now.
Robinson said he thought the company gave the district a good price on the additional windows, but it would be difficult to say if the windows would have cost less if they had been included in the original bid specifications.
The board also honored students of the month for September. They included:
√ Arrowhead Primary School: fourth-grader Sydney Jacquin, the daughter of Dan and Debbie Jacquin, of Copley;
√ Fort Island Primary School: fourth-grader Chloe Cook, the daughter of Beth and Rick Cook, of Fairlawn;
√ Herberich Primary School: fourth-grader Ahsiyah Williams, the daughter of Courtney Heyward, of Copley;
√ Copley-Fairlawn Middle School: eighth-grader Thomas Connolly, the son of Tom and Jennifer Connolly, of Copley; and
√ Copley High School: senior Sydnee Leathers, the daughter of Ladonna Johnson, of Fairlawn.
The Athlete of the month for September was junior golfer Makenzie Jones, the daughter of Michael and Lori Jones, of Copley.
In other business, the board:
• approved the treasurer’s five-year forecast;
• accepted the donation of $200 from Matilda Hofacker in memory of Gared Kimmell and Brianna Long. The donation is to be used to purchase books for the Herberich Primary School Library;
• accepted the donation of $300 from Deren Huang and family to be used for classroom literacy activities and instruction at Fort Island Primary School;
• noted “Trouble Don’t Last,” by Shelley Pearsall, will be placed on display in the board office conference room until it is recommended for adoption at the November board meeting. The book would be used for fifth-grade enrichment;
• hired Lisa Blachaniec and Seamus O’Hara as home instructors;
• granted unpaid medical leave to Nicole Gibb retroactive to Sept. 26 through Nov. 15;
• hired substitute certified and classified personnel;
• approved a list of district residents for payment in lieu of transportation;
• hired Angela Sutter as Herberich Primary School science curriculum coordinator and Julie Trapani as the district special education coordinator for grades five through eight;
• hired Joshua Eck as assistant coach for the Copley High School Academic Challenge team, Kristi Forshey as Copley High School Flag Team adviser and Jennifer Karlovec as Copley-Fairlawn Middle School Power of the Pen coach; and
• hired Bradley Bennett as the district’s first high school bowling coach, Laura Quine as assistant swimming coach and Ashley Veal as Copley High School freshman girls head basketball coach.
The next Copley-Fairlawn Board of Education meeting will take place Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. in the Main Office Conference Room at Copley High School, 3797 Ridgewood Road.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Gospel Sundays: Tampa Murphy and the Highland Square Community Choir - 8/28/2016
- Billy Crowbeak - 8/28/2016
- Phenology: Whispers from Mother Nature - 8/28/2016
- Family Story Time - 8/28/2016
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 8/29/2016