Firestone band shines at competition
|Photo courtesy of C. Wainwright|
Earning a score of 275.6 points, beating its previous record, the band earned a superior rating.
In Class A competition, Firestone earned awards for Best Auxiliary and Best Percussion and won first place out of six competing bands. In the Overall Competition, with 15 bands competing, Firestone earned awards for Best Visual, Best General Effect, Best Music, Best Overall Auxiliary and Best Overall Percussion.
The band’s trophies are shown above.
The band’s 2012 program, titled “Division,” consists of musical selections from Mahler’s Symphony No. 5, Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 — The New World Symphony, and Mozart’s “Lacrimosa.” Soloists include Tom Lehman, Nick Chura and Megan Hirsch on trumpet and Chris Collins on baritone. All are part of the school’s visual and performing arts program.
“The students have been working toward this end since May with approximately 400 total hours of rehearsal time, not to mention the individual practice time as well,” said Weaver. “It’s so nice to see the students, parents and staff rewarded for all of their dedication and hard work.”
The 112-member marching band, under the field command of Ashley Worthy, Stephen Dubetz and Shelby Namsick, will compete against bands from Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky in the Mid-States Band Association Finals in Mason Nov. 3.
Staff members responsible for individual sections include Lee Gibson, Hannah Laubscher, Erin Latham, Wyatt Mullins, Keith Durjava, Nicole Shoenfelt, Jen Ortner, Dan Eakin and T.J Ghiner.
In addition to its marching band responsibilities, the band recently took part in activities in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month [see related photo feature on Page 12] and World Arthritis Day.
More Education News
- More administrative changes in APS schools
- Elms students compete in regional, state Power of the Pen events
- Woodridge students have fun with reading
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Springfield district prepared if August levy fails
- Fifty Plus awards scholarships
- Green school board OKs bond refunding
- GAR Foundation awards grants
Calendar of Events
- Archery for Kids: ages 9-15 - 7/2/2016
- Archery for Adults - 7/2/2016
- Hunter Education Class - 7/2/2016
- Hiking for the Health of It - 7/2/2016
- Downtown Akron Art Walk - 7/2/2016