Firestone band shines at competition
|Photo courtesy of C. Wainwright|
Earning a score of 275.6 points, beating its previous record, the band earned a superior rating.
In Class A competition, Firestone earned awards for Best Auxiliary and Best Percussion and won first place out of six competing bands. In the Overall Competition, with 15 bands competing, Firestone earned awards for Best Visual, Best General Effect, Best Music, Best Overall Auxiliary and Best Overall Percussion.
The band’s trophies are shown above.
The band’s 2012 program, titled “Division,” consists of musical selections from Mahler’s Symphony No. 5, Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 — The New World Symphony, and Mozart’s “Lacrimosa.” Soloists include Tom Lehman, Nick Chura and Megan Hirsch on trumpet and Chris Collins on baritone. All are part of the school’s visual and performing arts program.
“The students have been working toward this end since May with approximately 400 total hours of rehearsal time, not to mention the individual practice time as well,” said Weaver. “It’s so nice to see the students, parents and staff rewarded for all of their dedication and hard work.”
The 112-member marching band, under the field command of Ashley Worthy, Stephen Dubetz and Shelby Namsick, will compete against bands from Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky in the Mid-States Band Association Finals in Mason Nov. 3.
Staff members responsible for individual sections include Lee Gibson, Hannah Laubscher, Erin Latham, Wyatt Mullins, Keith Durjava, Nicole Shoenfelt, Jen Ortner, Dan Eakin and T.J Ghiner.
In addition to its marching band responsibilities, the band recently took part in activities in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month [see related photo feature on Page 12] and World Arthritis Day.
More Education News
- Norton board proceeding with field house project
- Revere moving forward with district building project
- Woodridge athletes honored by Cuyahoga Falls mayor
- District seeking bids for secure school vestibules
- Highland board acknowledges district awards
- Highland students learn from NEOMED students
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry school board, union reach agreement
Calendar of Events
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016
- Women’s Art League Show - 12/3/2016