UA students win first in carving competition
|Photo courtesy of The University of Akron|
The team, comprised of members Mary King, a hospitality management alumna working toward a bachelor of organizational supervision; Jennifer Bogart, a hospitality management student; and Tori Cunningham, an Akron Early College High School student, took first place in the competition’s “overall” category with a winning “Day in the Forest” sculpture.
The piece contains carvings of animals, a jungle, sea, sky and sunburst from melons, zucchini, radishes, turnips, beets and several other vegetables. It is shown at right top.
The team took another first in the “compulsory” category with its UA-engraved melon.
King also took first place in the “individual” competition category with her classical floral sculpture using a stacked arrangement of watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon, shown at right bottom.
The team was lead by Chef Richard Alford, associate professor emeritus of hospitality management, who placed fifth in the “professional” category with his “For the Birds” carving.
UA’s student vegetable carvers made appearances and offered demonstrations at the I-X Center’s Trick-or-Treat event in October and also will demonstrate their talents at the Graduate Chef Dinner at UA’s Crystal Room Restaurant Nov. 8.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Gospel Sundays: Tampa Murphy and the Highland Square Community Choir - 8/28/2016
- Billy Crowbeak - 8/28/2016
- Phenology: Whispers from Mother Nature - 8/28/2016
- Family Story Time - 8/28/2016
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 8/29/2016