Arrowhead students grow green for green
|Photo courtesy of Jennifer Hertzig, Arrowhead PTA|
The students were given a cabbage plant to care for during the summer. At the start of the school year, students were asked to measure their cabbage and submit the information along with a photo of themselves with their cabbage. One winner was selected from each class.
The following students have grown the four largest cabbages overall and have been submitted to Bonnie Plants for a chance to win a $1,000 scholarship.
• Sophia Troutman — cabbage size, 49-1/2 inches in circumference and 39 pounds. She is a student in Janet Okruch ’s class.
• Virginia Williams — 44 inches in circumference; her cabbage has not been harvested for weight. She is in Nicole Kocsis’ class.
• Adam Volkov — 43 inches in circumference; his cabbage has not been harvested for weight. He is in Theresa Kester’s class.
• Julia Humphrys — 42 inches in circumference and 22 pounds. She is in Paula Cutillo’s class.
• Honorable mention: Joshua Hertz, Allie Huth, Christopher Kuczkowski, Jasmine Walker and Canyon Wells.
The participating students are shown at right.
In 2002, Bonnie Plants started the 3rd Grade Cabbage Program with a mission to inspire a love of vegetable gardening in young people. Each year, they distribute more than 1 million free cabbage plants to third-grade classrooms across the country. As part of the program, Bonnie Plants awards a $1,000 scholarship to one student in each state. Teachers submit a class winner, and a child is chosen by each state’s director of agriculture.
More information on the program can be found at www.bonniecabbageprogram.com.
More Education News
- New Woodridge school taking shape on planning board
- Highland teacher, community member recognized at ceremony
- Stark State to build Akron campus near state Route 8
- Annual cookie sale to benefit King CLC
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester board OKs new grading scale
- Chapel Hill Christian School student wins contest
- Green school board approves five-year forecast
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 11-18 - 5/25/2016
- Paws for Reading with Therapy Dogs Pepper and Rocky - 5/26/2016
- Metro Parks Family Tree: Seiberling Family - 5/26/2016