West Side Education News & Notes
PeaceMakers host college essay writing workshop
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The city of Akron PeaceMakers, an anti-crime youth program and youth volunteer group, will host a college essay writing workshop geared to help high school juniors and seniors create dynamic college admission and scholarship application essays.
PeaceMakers has partnered with Mary Etheridge, a Princeton University graduate and owner of Aspire College Consulting, to facilitate the workshop. Etheridge will help students choose the best topic, outline an essay and brainstorm ideas, as well as offer individualized attention so they can produce a successful essay, according to city officials.
The workshop will take place Nov. 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the fifth floor of the CitiCenter Building, 146 S. High St., and the cost is $25, which includes all materials and lunch.
Space is limited and preregistration is required. For more information, contact Akron PeaceMakers’ Coordinator Willa Keith at 330-375-2712 or email email@example.com.
More information about PeaceMakers can be found online at www.akronpeacemak ers.org.
APS students featured in LeBron James commercial
AKRON — Akron elementary students began appearing in a new Samsung smart phone commercial last week as part of their participation in the LeBron James Family Foundation (LJFF) Wheels for Education program.
The commercial’s story line shows James using the phone to keep in touch with various people in his life, including students who are part of his “I Promise” campaign.
A film crew visited Findley Community Learning Center (CLC) Oct. 24 and filmed 21 students from Crouse CLC, Findley CLC and Schumacher CLC. The commercials began airing Oct. 30 on ESPN and TNT.
An extension of the LJFF and its Wheels for Education program, the Time to Promise campaign started in Akron a year ago and has since grown into a nationwide initiative. Rooted in a commitment to education and symbolized by the I PROMISE band™ James wears during games, the I Promise network is a movement to inspire students, teams and individuals across the country to commit to making a difference.
To view the commercials, visit www.youtube.com/watch ?v=V2b9uwOPvmY
To learn more about the LJFF campaign, visit www.lebronjamesfamilyfoundation.org or www.timetopromise.com or call Stephanie Rosa at 916-307-7087.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- Firestone’s International Baccalaureate program enters 20th year
- Teacher granted second leave to serve as OEA president
- Fairlawn City Women’s Club makes scholarship awards
- Norton district voters to see levy on November ballot
- West Side Education News & Notes
- BVS awards students with scholarships
- Students enjoy outdoor program
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Nashville Crush with Joshua Surgeon & The Dusty Bottoms - 7/29/2016
- Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Three Points of View: Art by Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Almost Queen (Queen tribute) with Chris Allen & The Guilty Hearts - 7/29/2016
- Chardon Polka Band - 7/29/2016