ACESS presents annual awards
SUMMIT COUNTY — The 65th annual Akron Council of Engineering & Scientific Societies (ACESS) Honors and Awards Banquet was held Nov. 1 to recognize local students and education professionals in various categories.
ACESS is a nonprofit consortium of scientific and engineering societies in Akron, representing more than 3,000 engineers, scientists and technicians, according to its website, www.acessinc.org. It promotes the technical environment in the Greater Akron area through the coordination and cooperation of technical societies, industry and academia.
The banquet included the presentation of the Distinguished Award of Council, the ACESS Award and the Gene Easter Award for Exemplary High School Chemistry Teaching, as well as recognition of Outstanding High School Students in math and science and the presentation of various scholarships to college students.
The Distinguished Award of Council is presented to an outstanding citizen for technical and managerial achievements and involvement in civic activities, according to ACESS officials. This year, the award was presented to Barry Rosenbaum, Ph.D., a senior fellow at The University of Akron Research Foundation (UARF).
According to ACESS, Rosenbaum received his doctorate in 1967 from Northwestern University. His experience includes 23 years at Exxon and eight years at GenCorp/OMNOVA Solutions Inc., as well as membership in AIChE, ACS Rubber Division, the Institute of Synthetic Rubber Producers and the International Research Institute. In 2005, he retired as a corporate executive to become a senior fellow at UARF and has helped to attract other executives who provide leadership in technology, innovation, entrepreneurism and business to the Akron area, according to ACESS officials.
The ACESS Award is presented to someone who has made an outstanding contribution to ACESS. The award was presented to Missi Zender-Sakach, Ph.D., a science consultant for the Summit County Educational Service Center.
According to ACESS officials, Zender-Sakach began her career in education in 1989 and received her doctorate in 2002 from UA. As a science consultant, she supports more than 50 school districts and their teachers in the state in teaching and learning about science. She has served on the Cleveland Regional Council of Science Teachers, the Science Education Council of Ohio and the Ohio Science Standards Writing Committee. She also has worked for the Ohio Department of Education and Stanford University. She currently serves on the National Science Education Leadership Association and the Advisory Council for the American Geological Institute. She also is ACESS secretary and a former president.
The Gene Easter Award, established by the Akron Section of the American Chemical Society, was presented to Brian Coventry, a chemistry teacher at Jackson High School.
ACESS also presented the following awards to students at schools in the South Side News Leader coverage area:
Math and Science, Outstanding High School students:
• Isabelle Giacoma and Kyle Forsythe, Coventry High School;
• Lauren Braswell and Ryan Kramanak, Green High School;
• Briana Vamosi and Matt Wilson, Manchester High School;
• Megan Tomic and Daniel Mann, Norton High School;
• Courtney Looney and Brody Westover, Springfield High School;
• Lauren Whitehouse and Matthew Onders, Archbishop Hoban High School;
• Natalie Silk and Nathan Wesley, Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy;
• Chloe Hillard and Christina Graziano, Our Lady of the Elms High School;
• Amanda Burke and Vincenzo Volpe, St. Vincent St. Mary High School; and
• Renee Mirka and Joseph Sinopoli, Walsh Jesuit High School.
More Education News
- APS officials not worried about making up snow days
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Norton school board approves contract for treasurer
- St. Hilary School teacher honored
- Revere C.A.R.E. hosting Malley’s fundraiser
- Highland district to benefit from new tax abatement
- Highland Pride Committee accepting nominations
- Snow day issues raised in Akron
- APS to create health career academy
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 2/28/2015
- Mums the Word - 2/28/2015
- Michael Winston - 2/28/2015
- Lauren Braman Memorial Chili Cook-Off - 2/28/2015
- “The Lonesome West” - 2/28/2015