South Side Education News & Notes
Prosecutor announces 2013 Safety Kids Calendar Winners
SUMMIT COUNTY — On Oct. 30, Summit County Prosecuting Attorney Sherri Bevan Walsh announced the winners of the 2013 Safety Kids Calendar contest at an awards ceremony at the Akron-Summit County Main Library.
Of the 1,170 posters submitted, Spring Hill Junior High School student Jenna Ford’s entry was chosen as the grand-prize winner. Ford’s poster, which focuses on domestic violence, will be on the cover of the 2013 Safety Kids calendar.
Walsh and emcee Christi Nichols, from WONE-FM, presented the 48 winners with congratulatory certificates and gift cards in front of an audience of family, friends, teachers and contest judges.
“I am always impressed by the creativity, enthusiasm and hard work exhibited by these students,” Walsh said. “I’d like to thank all of the students who submitted a poster, as well as our judges, who had an extremely difficult task of selecting winners.”
Each of the first-place posters will be featured in the 2013 Safety Kids Calendar.
Additional winners from Spring Hill Junior High include:
• Rule 6: Never give out personal information in chat rooms.
√ Second Place: Kendra Sanner, seventh grade
• Rule 10: Say NO to gangs!
√ Second Place: Cameron Campbell, seventh grade
• Rule 11: Stop bullies in their tracks. Always tell an adult.
√ First Place: Sierra Moles, seventh grade
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/23/2014
- A New Beginning - 12/24/2014
- Presents for Nature Realm Critters - 12/24/2014
- School’s Out Cookout: bring hot dogs and buns - 12/26/2014
- A New Adventure - 12/27/2014