West Side Education News & Notes
Miller South exploring bullying in series of plays
WEST AKRON — The drama department at Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts will present a three-day run of “The Bully Project” Nov. 15-17.
“The Bully Project” consists of 10 10-minute plays that explore bullying from multiple points of view and various stages in life. The plays use an array of theatrical formats, from circus to ancient Greek myth to comedy and very serious tragedy.
“The playwrights have chosen unique and powerful metaphors to confront bullying, which we hope will stick in the audience’s memory and perhaps influence future actions,” co-director Wendy Duke said.
In honor of Miller South’s 20-year anniversary, the school has welcomed alumni to participate in the production, along with a cast of 50 fourth- through eighth-grade Miller South students.
Co-director Robert Keith is a recent theater education graduate from New York University. Alumni actors include Pablo Aquart, Krissa Duhon, Jillian Hartline, Hayley Hineline, Sarah Hineline and Emily Markuz. Two of the 10 plays were written by Miller South drama alumni Katie Markovich and Lilly Romestant.
The plays are scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. today, Nov. 15, as well as Nov. 17 and at 9 a.m. Nov. 16 in the school’s Margo Snider Theatre. Miller South is located at 1055 East Ave.
General admission tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for students and senior citizens. Reserved orchestra seating is $10. To make reservations, call the box office at 330-761-3106.
For Friday’s school show, tickets are $1 each for Akron Public Schools students and free for teachers and chaperones.
For more information, contact Duke at email@example.com or 330-761-1765.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Lippman School, Cheyenne Nation share cultures
- APS plans to expand services to gifted students
- Revere board asking state for charter school accountability
- Woodridge honors seniors, retirees, board member
- West Side Education News & Notes
- AAUW hosts STEM program for girls
- Acme, RubberDucks reward Green Primary readers
- PLCC students honored
- Springfield softball team captures league crown
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Migration: for ages 3-6 - 5/29/2015
- Cuyahoga Valley Photographic Society - 5/29/2015
- Any Way You Want It with Broken Promise - 5/29/2015
- Full Moon Fever with Mo Mojo - 5/29/2015
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015