West Side Education News & Notes
APS Parent Engagement Project begins in December
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Parents of students in Akron Public Schools (APS) are invited to apply for a free series of workshops meant to encourage student success.
The Parent Engagement Project (APS PEP) will run for one night a month for six months, starting in December. Dates and times will be set by parents at the orientation meeting Dec. 13 at 6 p.m.
Parents of elementary, middle and high school students will learn strategies to:
• handle conflict and build productive, positive relationships with teachers and school personnel;
• understand the latest academic standards and create action plans;
• increase their involvement in school activities; and
• access and use home and community resources to promote student success.
The hands-on workshops will take place in Room 335 of The University of Akron’s (UA) Student Union, 303 Carroll St. Interested parents are being asked to commit to the entire series, since each session will build on lessons learned in previous months.
Parking passes will be available, as will transportation from participants’ homes to UA, if needed. Snacks will be provided, and students are welcome.
APS PEP was made possible through a grant from the Akron Community Foundation’s Roush Memorial Fund, in partnership with UA’s Center for Urban and Higher Education.
For a link to the application form, visit www.akronschools.com and click on the Parent Engagement Project link.
For more information, contact Carla Sibley at 330-761-3297 or email@example.com.
Elementary teacher receives Distinguished Educator Award for Revere district
BATH/RICHFIELD — Since 2001, the Revere Local School District Alumni Association has honored educators, coaches and staff members with the Distinguished Educator Award.
According to association officials, these award-winners have gone above and beyond the call of duty to provide students with their special skills, not only as a teacher/coach/administrator/staff, but as an educator in living life.
This year the association inducted Guelda Jones, who taught third and fourth grades at Bath Elementary and Hillcrest Elementary schools beginning in 1961. She retired in June 1981. Her son, David, accepted her award at the annual Teacher Convocation day in August.
She joins other Distinguished Educators whose plaques are hanging in the main hallway of Revere High School.
College Board recognizes Revere Local Schools
BATH/RICHFIELD — The Revere Local School District has been recognized for the second consecutive year by the College Board’s AP Honor Roll.
Revere is one of only 539 school districts in the nation recognized this year by the College Board with a place on its third annual AP® Honor Roll for opening Advanced Placement (AP) classroom doors to a significantly broader pool of students while maintaining or improving the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher, according to district officials.
The District Honor Roll is based on examination of three years of AP data: 2010, 2011 and 2012 data from all students who took AP Examinations in May of those years. Inclusion on the Third Annual AP District Honor Roll is based on the following criteria:
• examination of three years of AP data, from 2010 to 2012;
• increase in participation in/access to AP by at least 4 percent in large districts, at least 6 percent in medium districts and at least 11 percent in small districts;
• a steady or increasing percentage of exams taken by African-American, Hispanic/Latino and American Indian/Alaska Native students; and
• performance levels maintained or improved when comparing the percentage of students in 2012 scoring a 3 or higher to those in 2010, or the school has already attained a performance level in which more than 70 percent of the AP students are scoring a 3 or higher.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015
- Astronomy Club of Akron: NASA Chief Pilot Alan Mickelwright - 3/27/2015
- Brass Band of the Western Reserve - 3/28/2015
- Basket Weaving 101: Easter Basket - 3/28/2015