Highland High earns College Board recognition
GRANGER — Highland Local School District officials recently announced the district is among 539 school districts across the United States and Canada to be named to the third annual AP District Honor Roll by the College Board.
Highland is being recognized for simultaneously increasing access to Advanced Placement (AP) course work while increasing the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher on AP Exams, according to district officials. AP course work and exams enable students to prepare to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. Students learn to think critically, construct solid arguments and see many sides of an issue, which are skills that prepare them for college and beyond. More than 90 percent of colleges and universities across the United States offer college credit, AP or both for a score of 3 or higher on an AP Exam, which can potentially save students and their families thousands of dollars in college tuition, according to district officials.
Highland High School offers 10 AP courses and exams, according to district officials. This past spring, 202 exams were administered to 127 students, and 81 percent of the students earned scores of 3 or higher. Six seniors earned AP Scholar with Distinction honors, taking five exams with an average score of at least 3.5, according to district officials.
Inclusion on the third annual AP District Honor Roll is based on the examination of three years of AP data, from 2010 to 2012, district officials noted. The College Board is a mission-driven, not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success and opportunity.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Education News
- APS Genius Challenge teams win Best Performance award
- SGWS showing ‘Screenagers’
- Board sets staff appreciation week
- Firestone honored at world tourney
- Revere receives audit award for third consecutive year
- Norton BOE OKs summer Kindergarten Readiness program
- Woodridge preparing for building project
- Manchester voters to see bond issue on August ballot
Calendar of Events
- Family Fishing - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron BassoonaRoo - 4/29/2016
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes to benefit the Rape Crisis Center - 4/29/2016
- Lil’ Sprouts: age 3 and up - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron Dance Company Spring Concert - 4/29/2016