Highland High earns College Board recognition
GRANGER — Highland Local School District officials recently announced the district is among 539 school districts across the United States and Canada to be named to the third annual AP District Honor Roll by the College Board.
Highland is being recognized for simultaneously increasing access to Advanced Placement (AP) course work while increasing the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher on AP Exams, according to district officials. AP course work and exams enable students to prepare to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. Students learn to think critically, construct solid arguments and see many sides of an issue, which are skills that prepare them for college and beyond. More than 90 percent of colleges and universities across the United States offer college credit, AP or both for a score of 3 or higher on an AP Exam, which can potentially save students and their families thousands of dollars in college tuition, according to district officials.
Highland High School offers 10 AP courses and exams, according to district officials. This past spring, 202 exams were administered to 127 students, and 81 percent of the students earned scores of 3 or higher. Six seniors earned AP Scholar with Distinction honors, taking five exams with an average score of at least 3.5, according to district officials.
Inclusion on the third annual AP District Honor Roll is based on the examination of three years of AP data, from 2010 to 2012, district officials noted. The College Board is a mission-driven, not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success and opportunity.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Education News
- ‘Conceptual agreement’ reached with Copley teachers union
- Revere board approves lunch price increase
- Woodridge seeking raffle car to help fund activities
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green offering breakfast for all students
- APS focus on digital needs, offerings
- Manchester officials considering new bus purchase
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014