West Side Education News & Notes
APS employee wins Asset Builder Award
|Carla Sibley, director of community relations for Akron Public Schools, has received an Asset Builder Award from the Ohio Department of Education.|
|Photo courtesy of Akron Public Schools|
The annual award, a program of the ODE’s Office of Family and Community Support, recognizes people who have made exceptional contributions to youth development through effective risk prevention and intervention.
An Akron native, Sibley has, according to APS officials, dedicated her career to advocating for urban families and children.
She began her career with APS in 1994 as the enterprise community family services liaison for several inner-city schools in low-income neighborhoods. She coordinated student and family support services, including after-school programs, health services, academic interventions and case management.
In 1997, Sibley became a social services specialist for the district. She coordinated several local, state and federal grant projects serving students in kindergarten through grade 12, bringing many organizations together in creative partnerships with APS. During her time as a special projects coordinator from 2003 to 2009, Sibley developed a nationally recognized after-school model called Perkins Activities Central (PAC), according to APS officials. PAC brought community partners together from throughout Summit County to address barriers to academic achievement.
In her current role as the district’s director of community relations, Sibley works to promote active student, staff and community engagement.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Copley school board seeking high school principal
- Revere board asking for moratorium on state testing
- Revere PTA group names awardees
- Woodridge board asks state to monitor charter schools
- Students earn Eagle Scout honors
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry Middle School teacher honored
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Grass is Gross: Edible Landscaping - 4/2/2015
- “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part I” - 4/2/2015
- Kite Workshop: for kindergarten-second grade - 4/2/2015
- Yoga for Kids - 4/3/2015
- Bits and Pieces - 4/4/2015