West Side Education News & Notes
APS employee wins Asset Builder Award
|Carla Sibley, director of community relations for Akron Public Schools, has received an Asset Builder Award from the Ohio Department of Education.|
|Photo courtesy of Akron Public Schools|
The annual award, a program of the ODE’s Office of Family and Community Support, recognizes people who have made exceptional contributions to youth development through effective risk prevention and intervention.
An Akron native, Sibley has, according to APS officials, dedicated her career to advocating for urban families and children.
She began her career with APS in 1994 as the enterprise community family services liaison for several inner-city schools in low-income neighborhoods. She coordinated student and family support services, including after-school programs, health services, academic interventions and case management.
In 1997, Sibley became a social services specialist for the district. She coordinated several local, state and federal grant projects serving students in kindergarten through grade 12, bringing many organizations together in creative partnerships with APS. During her time as a special projects coordinator from 2003 to 2009, Sibley developed a nationally recognized after-school model called Perkins Activities Central (PAC), according to APS officials. PAC brought community partners together from throughout Summit County to address barriers to academic achievement.
In her current role as the district’s director of community relations, Sibley works to promote active student, staff and community engagement.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- New Woodridge school taking shape on planning board
- Highland teacher, community member recognized at ceremony
- Stark State to build Akron campus near state Route 8
- Annual cookie sale to benefit King CLC
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester board OKs new grading scale
- Chapel Hill Christian School student wins contest
- Green school board approves five-year forecast
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 11-18 - 5/25/2016
- Paws for Reading with Therapy Dogs Pepper and Rocky - 5/26/2016
- Metro Parks Family Tree: Seiberling Family - 5/26/2016