West Side Education News & Notes
APS employee wins Asset Builder Award
|Carla Sibley, director of community relations for Akron Public Schools, has received an Asset Builder Award from the Ohio Department of Education.|
|Photo courtesy of Akron Public Schools|
The annual award, a program of the ODE’s Office of Family and Community Support, recognizes people who have made exceptional contributions to youth development through effective risk prevention and intervention.
An Akron native, Sibley has, according to APS officials, dedicated her career to advocating for urban families and children.
She began her career with APS in 1994 as the enterprise community family services liaison for several inner-city schools in low-income neighborhoods. She coordinated student and family support services, including after-school programs, health services, academic interventions and case management.
In 1997, Sibley became a social services specialist for the district. She coordinated several local, state and federal grant projects serving students in kindergarten through grade 12, bringing many organizations together in creative partnerships with APS. During her time as a special projects coordinator from 2003 to 2009, Sibley developed a nationally recognized after-school model called Perkins Activities Central (PAC), according to APS officials. PAC brought community partners together from throughout Summit County to address barriers to academic achievement.
In her current role as the district’s director of community relations, Sibley works to promote active student, staff and community engagement.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Downtown @ Dusk: Angie Haze - 9/1/2016
- “Hangover Square” - 9/1/2016
- Quarry Hike - 9/1/2016
- Pastel Workshop with Douglas House - 9/1/2016
- Homeschoolers: City Critters: ages 7-10 - 9/2/2016