West Side Education News & Notes
Leadership Akron class donates items to Leggett CLC students
SOUTH AKRON — The Leadership Akron Class XXVIII (2011-12), under the leadership of two of its classmates, Joe Swiatkowski, of Bath, president of Hickory Harvest Foods, and Valerie Wolford, of Green, communications coordinator for the city of Green, adopted Akron Public School District’s Leggett Community Learning Center (CLC) for the holidays.
Under the name Leaders for Leggett, the two were able to collect more than $24,000 in cash and donations to give to the children and the school. Tomorrow, Dec. 14, at 11:30 a.m., several members of the class, some teachers and students from Green Primary School and Santa Claus will deliver the gifts to the students and staff at Leggett CLC, which is located south of Downtown Akron.
Items were donated by various organizations and individuals and the help of three local schools — St. Hilary School in Fairlawn and Greenwood Early Learning Center and Green Primary School, both of Green Local Schools. Swiatkowski organized donations of school supplies from St. Hilary, where his children attend.
The goal for this year’s Leaders for Leggett project was to donate gifts to each child, which will include a backpack, school supplies, books, a new toy and a winter hat and gloves. Teachers also will receive a box of items for the classroom.
The group also will donate a number of iPads to the school.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Woodridge weighing impact of new state budget
- Emmanuel Christian Academy students raise funds for charities
- Highland board approves international high school trips
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester considering offer from OSFC for new schools
- Springfield district working to improve student success
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 7/29/2015
- Pond Exploration for Kids - 7/29/2015
- Wanda Hunt Band - 7/29/2015
- Retirement Workshop - 7/29/2015
- Family Programming - 7/29/2015