Green district creating strategic plan
Green Local School District officials are planning for the future.
At the Dec. 10 Board of Education meeting, district officials revealed they have begun preliminary work on creating a strategic plan for Green Local Schools.
Board President Bob Campbell said the plan is something that is lacking in the district, and now that other matters have been accomplished, it is time to start work on it.
“We are getting to the point where we can begin to work on it,” he said. “The plan will include where the community wants to go and match up with where district officials would like to go.”
Superintendent Mike Nutter explained the strategic plan is in the very beginning stages, with committees being created to focus on various facets of the plan.
“We are identifying committees that will gather input to determine what needs to be done,” he said. “That focus will include areas such as academics, facilities, technology and budgets. The plan will look three to five years into the future.”
The committees will consist of a mix of residents and district employees, he added. Nutter also said the committees will host some public meetings to gather input from area residents.
“We hope to present a final report on the strategic plan to the public at the end of May,” said Nutter.
Information about the strategic plan came to light after Golden Wood Way resident Anthony Ziehler questioned the board about minutes regarding a special October meeting to discuss the plan.
“The minutes do not contain any details of actions that took place,” he said. “The public should be told what was discussed.”
Campbell said the board did not discuss the matter as planned because an executive session with legal counsel that night lasted much longer than anticipated.
“The executive session went long and we decided to postpone that discussion,” he said.
“We try to be open in everything we do,” added board member Steven Foster. “The executive session ran to 10:30 p.m., and we did not want to go into a planning meeting.”
In other business, the board approved:
• maternity and unpaid leave for Amanda Gamble through April 2; retirement for bus driver Nancy Nestor and custodian David Law Sr.; and supplemental contracts;
• resignations from Scott Bantum as drama support; playground/ cafeteria monitor Hilary Buck, who was hired as a special education aide at Greenwood Early Learning Center and Green Primary; and library aide Linda McGough, who was hired as an office aide at Green Middle School;
• the inclusion of Green Council of PTAs for liability insurance with Green Local Schools; and
• a contract with YMCA Phoenix School for one student from Dec. 6 to June 6, at a cost of $120 per day, with the cost to be borne by the student’s home district.
The board also recognized the following Students of the Month:
√ Mia Willis from Greenwood Early Learning Center;
√ Kaylie McCann from Green Primary;
√ Amanda Hale from Green Intermediate;
√ Abbie Pearce from Green Middle School; and
√ Sarah Ludwig and Ryan Kramanak from Green High School.
The next regular Green Local Schools Board of Education meeting is scheduled for Jan. 14 beginning at 6 p.m. for the annual organizational meeting in Council Chambers at the city of Green Central Administration Building, 1755 Town Park Blvd.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Bees: for ages 3-6 - 8/27/2016
- Yoga - 8/27/2016
- Jazz Under the Stars: Mojo: The Generationís Big Band - 8/27/2016
- Barbara Knight Trio; Artwerk - 8/27/2016
- Catherine Gray Jackson Tribute Exhibition - 8/27/2016